Memory Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a question about memory and timings... I am starting to build my first build, and don't know a lot about memory settings. I have a dell 8300 that works fine, but it does not seem as fast as I would think it should be. 2.6 with HT, 1 gig of PC3200, two WD caviar drives.
Anyway, I ran CPU-Z, and got some interesting numbers.
with dual channel enabled on the PC3200 (2x512) I got this

frequency 199.6
FSB:Dram 1:1
CAS 3
RAS to CAS 3
RAS precharge 3
Cycle time (tras) 8

so.. the timings for this particular memory would be written as 3-3-3-8 right?
I am wondering why the frequency is 199? Shouldn't DDR PC3200 be running at 400MHz?

also, is the 1:1 best? if not, is there any way to change that? FSB on this board/CPU is supposedly 800MHz.

when I upgrade my system, would I have to find a memory with similar numbers to add 2 gigs? Is this bad memory?

thanks for your help guys - It should be obvious that I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Shrew

go to crucial.com and run their memory checker. Even better is to RTFM that came with the motherboard. It will tell you what brands and types it can take.

more info

thanks for the site, but the memory checker only tells me what products crucial wants me to buy from them...
what I would like to know is about the timings - as I said, the memory is DDR PC3200, shouldn't it run at 400MHz? It says 199, and I do not have a motherboard manual, as it was a pre-made system.
are these memory settings why my computer seems slow?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back