Memory Speed, is this Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher2006

hi, i was browsing on Everst Home and came across the page with my memory information on and it said i have 512mb of PC3200, and next to it it had (200mhz) i thought that pc3200 was 400mhz, is there any reason for why this is saying 200mhz. i can post the printscreen if you like, is there any other way or program that shows RAM Speed?

It's 200Mhz clock speed. The 400Mhz is 2x200Mhz which is what PC3200 DDR is.

Oh right, so its definately going at 400mhz then? thats ok then, cheers guys your a real help :D EVERYONE, BIG UP THEESE TWO GENTLMEN :p

no it's 200mhz read bidirectionally.

If you take an osciiliscope to it, the RAM works in both the up and down cycles.

(therefore it "tricks" the motherboard into thinking it is 400mhz)

back to this topic.....are you sure is there another way to find speed RAM is going at, when i built my pc it said remeber to set correct BUS freq and stuff like that, because at the moment this PC doesnt feel alot faster than my old one.

i went into the BIOS and changed my DRAm clock to 400 from 200, isnt this what my RAM should be running at, or is this somethin different and should i changed back...what would have happend now i put from 200 to 400 and i only have on stick of RAM if i get another of the same will the speed go to 400 when its set to 200...its all abit weird

DONT!!! your gonna get boot errors cuz ur ram doesnt run double its speed >_< in other words, you OC'ed your ram lol

Listen to tedster and the others (actually Tedster went into the techy lingo there, so you dont have to listen to him. lol)

basically:
DDR = Double Data Rate.
200mhz x 2 = 400mhz ... 400mhz = PC3200 (DDR400)

so dont go changing the clock in the bios. your ram is totaly fine my friend

I would set it to: By spd or auto.
You can tighten memory timmings or loosen them but only if
you are OC'ing and having trouble.

My ram
Information SPD EEPROM (A0) :
Manufacturer : Corsair
Part Number : VS512MB400
Serial Number : xxxxxxxxx
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]<<<
Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)

Width : 64-bit

Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 2.5v

Supported Frequencies : 200 MHz <<<
CAS Latency (tCL) : 2.5 clocks @200 MHz <<<
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 3 clocks @200 MHz <<<
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 3 clocks @200 MHz <<<
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 8 clocks @200 MHz<<<

yeah i should have read this first lmao, i did put DRAM to 400 and it didnt boot up so i cleared CMOS back to stock....ooops, thx i have it cleared up now i no that its defo going at normal speed thnks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back