Memory upgrade - Dell Dimension 8100, plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell Dimension 8100 is with 2, 64Mb cards. I wanna upgrade it to bit higher level. Im having a 512Mb card. Im wondering, is it possible to plug da 512Mb and 64Mb card as pairs in da Sokets 1 and 2 (I have 2 dummie cards for socket 3 and 4) ?

As i checked with da Dell support web, they provide a hint :

" If you upgrade the memory, the RIMMs must be upgraded in matched pairs of identical MB capacity in both sockets 1 and 2 or sockets 3 and 4".

So, in my situation, do i have to match da socket 1 and 2 with same 512Mb or is safe to plug 512Mb with 64Mb in da specified sockets? I dont care about da optimum performance, least 512Mb is enough for me. ;)

thanx in advance.

sampath
http://sampathsid.blogspot.com

Your Dell uses RDRAM and those must be installed in matched pairs only, as the instruction from Dell plainly states. You will not be able to use your single 512MB module unless it is RDRAM (not SDRAM) AND you can pair it up with another identical one. Ordinarily you can only buy RDRAM in pairs regardless of capacity so I suspect your 512MB module is not RDRAM and, therefore, you can't use it.

mailpup said:
Your Dell uses RDRAM and those must be installed in matched pairs only, as the instruction from Dell plainly states. You will not be able to use your single 512MB module unless it is RDRAM (not SDRAM) AND you can pair it up with another identical one. Ordinarily you can only buy RDRAM in pairs regardless of capacity so I suspect your 512MB module is not RDRAM and, therefore, you can't use it.

Right you are Mailpup!

that RDRAM is expensive too...

Hi all,
I can gurentee dat 512Mb is a RDRAM. What i wanna know is, if i plug 512Mb RDRAM with another 64Mb RDRAM then is there any performance malfunction or is there any potential harm to da pc? B'se im not much consider of lossing 64Mb memory at least if i have da 512Mb working memory. I dont wanna try it b'se i love dis machine.....thanx for ur advices.

sampath

sampath said:
Hi all,
I can gurentee dat 512Mb is a RDRAM. What i wanna know is, if i plug 512Mb RDRAM with another 64Mb RDRAM then is there any performance malfunction or is there any potential harm to da pc? B'se im not much consider of lossing 64Mb memory at least if i have da 512Mb working memory. I dont wanna try it b'se i love dis machine.....thanx for ur advices.

sampath

English is your second language?

gurentee=Guarantee
dat=That
Da=The
wanna=want to
B'se ? Because
ur=your
advises=advise
dis=this
Not much consider of lossing= not to concerned to loose

You live in the United States? San Marcos is in California... Beautiful city!Learn to speak English properly, don't become lazy

There won't be any performance increase adding 64MB so leave the 512MB RDRAM by itself

Tmagic Hi,
Thank you for the advise. I think this is not an English Learning support Forum isn't it??? Yes you are correct, English is not my mother tounge, and thank you again for reminding it to me. Further , This San Marcos is not in California, it's in Texas, yes it's beautiful too. I'm not lazy , otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to come here for my graduate studies, specially for Computer Science. As a Sri Lankan, I'm really proud my self to be here.

Sorry for being so imotional, We'll move on to the technical stuff. I'm still wondering is it possible to plug my 512Mb as a single card with a continuity module in sockets 1 and 2? (that is without matching it with another 512Mb)

Really appreciate all your support on this. Specially no hard feelings Tmagic!!

sampath

If you want at least 512MB RDRAM you must use identical 256MB RDRAM modules in slots 1 and 2. If you go to 1GB you could possibly use 4 identical 265MB RDRAM in slots 1, 2 and 3 and 4...

No matter what you do, you will have to use matched pairs of RDRAM. Understand now?

Congratulations on your settling in the USA! Continued good fortune...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back