Memory upgrade for Dell Dimension 9200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I would like to answer a question or two about memory.

I use a Dell Dimension 9200 with a quad-core q6600 2.4GHz Viiv CPU, 768MB 8800 GTX graphics card and 4GB 667MHz memory. I use Home Vista 32bit and know that even though Vista only uses 3GB ram, all 4 modules are being used. I am really wanting to play the game Flight Simulator X at high settings mainly (which for those of you who are familiar is extremely demanding).

Firstly I know what overclocking and such is out of the question and that doesn't concern me and I know Dell are quite rigid about upgrading but say I wanted better memory... Where should I look and what should I do?

Say I bought 4GB of memory (1GB modules) at 800MHz instead of 667MHz. Firstly will my p.c. accept the memory? And secondly will it make a difference. I have heard that there is some relationship between cpu and ram. With the cpu I have got will it actually run at 800MHz or what? How about that super powerful Corsair memory that runs at 1Ghz+? How would that effect my system if it is accepted?

Any help on this subject would be much appreciated.

Btw for those of you who know about the Windows Experience Index, my p.c. has 5.9 for cpu and graphics and 5.6 for ram - overall 5.6.

Also my motherboard is a Dell Inc. 0CT017 with Intel P965/G965 chipset if that helps at all.

I really doubt if increasing from 667 to 800MHz would do anything for you. The motherboard in your system may be the weak point, or bottleneck

Listen you got memor running at 1066Mhz now but then again alot of factors got wo weigh in.. 667 is good enough..

1.It will accept it
2.Won't make much difference at all (unless you care about a couple of points in benchmarks)
3.FSX
The only thing that will improve over what you have now is to upgrade to the next generation 9 series that may be out in a few months.
It is not possible to play FSX to it's full potential yet since the game was created with gpu's in mind that are not in exsistance yet.

BTW:My WEI
ram-5.9 (3GB @ 667mhz)
graphics-5.9 (8600GT)
gaming graphics-5.6

Don't put too much stock in these numbers

Thanks guys. I did some reading up and it appears there is some relationship between the cpu and ram so I guess I'll keep that the way it is. But updating the graphics card later on might be the best bet assuming my motherboard can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back