Memory Upgrade Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm new and was wondering if anyone would be able to lend a hand.

I recently bought 2 extra sticks of 512mb DDR RAM to upgrade my machine from 1gb to 2gb. My mobo is a K7 Triton, and I've been running my existing 2 sticks in dual enabled for a while now without problems.

I'm having some trouble adding the new RAM however - both pairs work fine on their own, but when all 4 sticks are present, the memory count at post only counts up to 1GB. If I have 3 sticks in, the count reaches 1.5gb, but the machine then becomes unstable (lots of crashes/memory errors).

I tried to match the sticks as closely as possible (all 4 are PC3200, CL3), so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas other than pairing a brand new set of 1gb sticks?

Thanks a lot,

Andy

Are all of the sticks made by the same manufacturer?

If not, it could be that the two manufacturer's products are incompatible running together.

I agree with Eric Legge - most likely your sticks of memory dun agree with one another. Have you tried checking which memory brand they are?

Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

That simple eh? I suppose I'll RMA the memory and get a pair of fresh 1gb sticks. Thought I'd be ok if I matched speeds etc. Ah well, live and learn I suppose.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back