MemTest Read-Out That I Don't Understand At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

Edit: It is the floppy going haywire. I found out the stick that was giving me the BSODs because it would blue screen me almost immediately every time.

I have had a number of BSODs recently and so I ran MemTest and I got 3 errors on Test 3 and a whopping 290 on Test 5. I have had Crucial Ballistix PC3200 in a 4x512 configuration for over a year and a half.

Last night I began testing each stick individually. Stick one passed with no problem with three sticks to test. Since it was late I went to bed.

Resumed this morning with stick two in the same #1 slot. When it got to just where MemTest kicks in the screen started to read out in sequential order over and over the following:

AX:0212
BX:1A00
CX:0001
DX:0100
@X:8000

MemTest never loaded; I never got to the screen.

Even when I popped out the MemTest (floppy) in continued to do this. The same for the other remaining sticks as well. I though I was screwed by doing something unknown to my system when changing out sticks.

So decided to try something and reboot with the third untested stick (but getting the same sequential readouts) and without MemTest inserted it booted just fine.

I have not a clue as to why this happened or what it means. I have run MemTest before so I am not a novice but I sure could use some experienced help here.

Why didn't MemTest load? What is going on with the readouts? What does it mean and what are your suggestions? Thanks.

It sounds like your floppy went bad. Maybe you should try a different copy of memtest on a different floppy.

any errors with memtest are bad and the ram should be replaced. if your ram is bad period, memtest may not load at all. I am surprised the pc booted without a bios beep.

I did replace my RAM with OCZ Plantinum 3200. I realized I had corrupted memory; the issue was what stick(s) of the four were faulty. It was my third one; the one that kept BSODing while I attempted to test individually.

The problem was my MemTest floppy weirded out on me and I didn't understand the readouts I was getting at the time. I downloaded the latest MemTest version and I will be burning a disk.

the floppy program is a dos executable. It boots and runs. There should be no re-access of the floppy drive once it loads and runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back