message says that Windows cannot find C:\Windows\system\lsass\exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohene_ba

I think I have a virus cause this message pops up every time I turn my laptop on ( Windows cannot find C;\WINDOWS\system\lsass\exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. ) and my internet explorer automatically goes to www.quicknews.com which is a site I never clicked on. Can you tell me the name of this virus? Everywhere else I've looked for help tells me to download an antivirus and scan for the virus but I cannot do that because where I live I cannot get a fast enough connection to download an antivirus. I want to find out what virus it is and how to remove it on my own. Can you help?

Name your OS

It might be W95 for all i know.
Are you selecting Search for Files and Folders in C: drive in the search box ?
Not Search on the Internet.:D
I have XP home,Desktop and no such file exists.
Are you saying you can't boot to Windows ?
At what point do you get this message ?
Of course i need to know your OS.I can only guess XP.
Don't say you "think" you have a virus,do a Virus Scan if you can.
Why oh why do people post
"I think I have a virus"
when theres
so many free Virus Scanners.

ohene_ba said:
I think I have a virus cause this message pops up every time I turn my laptop on ( Windows cannot find C;\WINDOWS\system\lsass\exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. ) and my internet explorer automatically goes to www.quicknews.com which is a site I never clicked on. Can you tell me the name of this virus? Everywhere else I've looked for help tells me to download an antivirus and scan for the virus but I cannot do that because where I live I cannot get a fast enough connection to download an antivirus. I want to find out what virus it is and how to remove it on my own. Can you help?

What you have is not a virus but spyware! The particular one is called "web browser hijacking". It changes your web browser homepage on you. What you need to do is get the following 3 anti-spyware utilities and run them:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet. Also, you mention your Internet is slow, that is another symptom of spyware. If it takes too long to download them, get a friend to download them and put them on a CD or DVD for you.

I hope he can "search" for these great free downloads.
We might have to post links next.:rolleyes:
============
But almcneil,buy V-Com Fix-it Utilities Pro.
It does it all and doesn't cost much.
:cool:

almcneil

zipperman said:
I hope he can "search" for these great free downloads.
We might have to post links next.:rolleyes:
============
But almcnell,buy V-Com Fix-it Utilities Pro.
It does it all and doesn't cost much.
:cool:

Zipperman, you sound a tad obnoxious!

If the person can post on here, that means he/she can look up and download the utilities.

You mispelled my name.

I prefer the ones I listed as they are top rated. Never head of V-com utilities.

The correct Techspot answer to this question,is as follows :

You have spyware.

Go HERE follow the instructions,then post HJT,and Combofix logs,as attachments in this thread.

Regards,

Howard Hopkinso :) :)

l instead of i

Really we all make typing mistakes especially i's anf l's.
But if what you say is true this post wouldn't be necessary.
He'd go to or search for download sights.
Ask google for Internet or System Tools.
But he asked here,i didn't.I found mine.
But i still don't know what this so called missing file is affecting for his
overall computer use.I get messages i just ignore them.
ziperman

My internet connection is VERY sLLLLOOOOOWWWW because I live in Africa and it is ALWAYS slow, no matter whether I have a virus or not. That's why I simply cannot download AVG or other antiviruses which I did already "search" for and already knew that I needed them before making my post. I am trying to find out how to fix my problem by skipping the antivirus. Is it possible. I already found out that my virus is also called Win32:Small-CBL
or Win32.HLLW.Autoruner. Is that correct? By the by, I'm a "she", not a "he". Thanks

It is in your best interests to use an anti-virus. So your connection is slow, download it overnight. If you don't use an anti-virus regularly and in background, it is just a matter of time before you get another virus.

Symantec-Norton and McAfee both post manual removal steps for known virus infections so you can check their web sites.

Thanks. Yeah, I know you're right and I just have to try to download overnight. I' m trying to follow the instructions posted by Howard Hopkinso right now and will see what happens. Thanks again.

Lets try this then

ohene_ba said:
My internet connection is VERY sLLLLOOOOOWWWW because I live in Africa and it is ALWAYS slow, no matter whether I have a virus or not. That's why I simply cannot download AVG or other antiviruses which I did already "search" for and already knew that I needed them before making my post. I am trying to find out how to fix my problem by skipping the antivirus. Is it possible. I already found out that my virus is also called Win32:Small-CBL
or Win32.HLLW.Autoruner. Is that correct? By the by, I'm a "she", not a "he". Thanks

Instead of downloading utilities to run,
and BTW you should learn to accept slow downloads and live with your restrictions.
Go here and start the Scan.
Then go to bed or shopping or something.You need a VScan regularily.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
===============
Then do the same here with Full Tests.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/
==========================
You can do the same with large downloads.Go shopping etc.
You don't have to stare at the monitor throughout the download.
Is it Mrs. or Ms. or Miss ? ;) lol
I am a Male Grandfather in Canada.:wave:

As you have a slow connection and a trojan,I strongly suggest you boot into

"Safe mode with Networking" then just download Hijackthis and Combofixe.

Run those,then post the logs here.Don`t bother with all the other scans for the moment.

How to get into Safe mode -

1.Restart your computer.

2.Wait about 5 seconds (variable) as it`s starting,then gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are
presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.

3.Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard

Thanks for the continued help. Right now I am letting TrendMicro do the housecall scan while I go to bed. In the past what sometimes happens is my internet connection will just cut off sometime in the middle of the night and nothing gets completed. I am hoping this time will be better. If not, then I will follow Po 'Girl's idea. I'll let you know. Please stick with me through this! Thanks!
And it's "Mrs." who is going to be a mama in December. Thanx 4 asking, Grandfather. : )

Make sure your in Safe mode etc...........,whatever you do.

The Trojan that is on you system could be doing anything it wants with

your connection.

Wait for this responce

ohene_ba said:
Thanks for the continued help. Right now I am letting TrendMicro do the housecall scan while I go to bed. In the past what sometimes happens is my internet connection will just cut off sometime in the middle of the night and nothing gets completed. I am hoping this time will be better. If not, then I will follow Po 'Girl's idea. I'll let you know. Please stick with me through this! Thanks!
And it's "Mrs." who is going to be a mama in December. Thanx 4 asking, Grandfather. : )

Make sure you pass the Active X test at pcpitstop or you'll waste your time.
Its tested at the beginning and the rest is slow too even for me.

BTW,you don't say where you are . The UK is known for sudden Internet
shutdowns and downloads stopped.

almcneil said:
If you don't use an anti-virus regularly and in background, it is just a matter of time before you get another virus.

A/V programs are reactive: they help you FIX the system when it has caught a virus.

Firewalls, pop-up blockers, routers with NAT+SPI, ActiveX controls
(eg: Spywareblaster) are proactive: they PREVENT virus'.

With proper use of the proactive approach, frequent scanning by A/V soon becomes mote.

Well, I ran the housecall scan all night and it deleted 23 infected cookies and the grayware and spyware infections it found. Now I'm following the rest of the steps, have installed AVG Spyware and updated it and now am installing Spybot. I keep having to do a bit at a time because it took all night just to get through one step of the preliminary removal instructions (cause of the slow connection). Is this still going to work when I have to keep doing a few steps per night? Oh I hope so! All I know about computers is what I could learn on my own, so a lot of what you all tell me is way over my head, but I can tell you're being very patient with me and I appreciate it! Thanx!

I did say where I am in an earlier post, but I don't mind saying again - Africa. And if the UK is infamous for sudden shutdowns, then where I am must be ten times worse than the UK because the technology here is wayyyyyyy behind the UK.

As someone said,if you`ve got a slow connection and spyware (and I`m guessing a slow computer),
just post the hjt and combofixe.Leave the rest.

Well you keep posting here so you have some sort of working Internet
Connection.What is it ? Tell all you can about how you connect to the
Internet.
pcpitstop.com will test your download and upload and maybe suggest
improvements.All tests take quite a while.Nighty Night.
Remember get Active X working first.

IExplore help says

Why does it take so long to download a file?
Your Internet connection might be slow. If you have a dial-up connection, it takes a lot longer to download files than if you have a broadband connection, such as DSL or cable.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) might be offline or experiencing heavy Internet traffic. Wait a while, and then try again.
If you are on a corporate network, the network settings might be the problem. Check with your system administrator.
If you use a file or music sharing program, someone might be downloading a file from your computer. Try disabling file sharing services while you're downloading and see if the process gets faster.
You might have too many programs open at the same time. Try closing unnecessary programs.
Your computer might have spyware running. Try scanning your computer for spyware. See related topics for more information on spyware.
Missing updates can affect your computer's performance. Go to the Windows Update (http://update.microsoft.com) website and check for updates.

log from combofixe

I'm attaching the log from combofixe. Please let me know if it comes through okay. And what do I do from here? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back