Metro Exodus owners can get the Enhanced Edition free next week, check out the demanding...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: If, like me, you love Metro Exodus and have already played through it several times, here's some good news: an enhanced edition of the FPS arrives on May 6. It's free to existing owners, though there is a small caveat; it requires a very beefy rig.

Metro Exodus was one of the flagship titles for showing off ray tracing abilities when it launched in 2019. The Enhanced Edition builds on that by only working on ray tracing-capable graphics hardware.

As the name suggests, the Enhanced Edition brings a slew of improvements. Not only does the game run faster, but it also adds variable rate shading (VRS), advanced ray traced reflections and DLSS 2.1 support for Nvidia GPUs that offers "sharper image details and increased framerates and display resolutions." There's a temporal upscaling option for AMD's cards, too.

The enhanced edition of the game is free to owners of Metro Exodus on Steam, Epic Games Store, Microsoft Store, and GOG—no Stadia, Amazon Luna, Linux, or Mac versions. It isn't an upgrade to the base version; so many new features have been added that it's being released as an entire game, hence the new PC requirements.

Save files will carry over on Steam, EGS, and GOG, but not the Microsoft Store, sadly. It's also worth noting that progress within levels isn't saved—you'll have to restart each chapter. There is a "chapter unlock" feature that creates a new save with default equipment and resources, but you won't be able to earn achievements using said save slot.

Here are the PC requirements for Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition:

The game also requires 73GB of storage space, along with an extra 1GB for The Two Colonels DLC, and 7GB for Sam's Story.

Permalink to story.

defaultname365

Finally something worth playing to push my Aurora R12 that has an 11900K + 3090... still playing the non-enhanced version on Steam.

Watzupken

Watching this really just makes me want to skip the RTX 30 series and just wait for the RTX 40 series...
Precisely. The current hardware is barely enough to keep up with this sorts of RT demand. Its funny that in the specs, the RTX 3080 is advertised to do Ultra settings in 4K @ 30FPS, while the 3090 can do Extreme 4K @ 60FPS. The latter must be with DLSS on, which also mean that it is not exactly 4K.

b3rdm4n

Looks amazing, can't wait to try it on my 3080 - with *gasp* DLSS on - I have no reservations about how the magic pixels make it to my screen, as long as the results are good.
The latter must be with DLSS on, which also mean that it is not exactly 4K.
Slide says DLSS off.

Last edited:

Watzupken

Looks amazing, can't wait to try it on my 3080 - with *gasp* DLSS on - I have no reservations about how the magic pixels make it to my screen, as long as the results are good.

Slide says DLSS off.
Then the results between RTX 3090 and 3080 looks off, unless the latter is VRAM limited.

b3rdm4n

Then the results between RTX 3090 and 3080 looks off, unless the latter is VRAM limited.
Can't disagree with that, 3080 doing 4k ultra 30 fps and a 3090 doing 4k extreme at 60fps doesn't quite add up, it defies the 10-15% delta we typically see between the two, it all seems decidedly vague.

EdmondRC

Digital Foundry found that the RTX 3080 outperformed the RX 6800 XT by 27% on average at the same settings (1440p Ultra) with areas that it performed 50% better. That's not the RX 6900 XT, but there is not a huge difference between the 6800 XT and 6900 XT, less than between the 3090 and 3080 from what I have seen in benchmarks. In the video the 3080 was running the game in 1440p Ultra with a framerate in the 80s. I'm going to guess that the 4K Ultra here for the RTX 3080 is much better than 30fps and significantly better than the RX 6900 XT (20% or so on average), but that it doesn't quite reach an average of 60fps. But rather than split the two apart, they opted to put them in the same category for a 30fps experience. With DLSS of course, the 3080 will likely be able to run the game at 80fps (same at 1440p) giving RTX 3080 owners a very smooth 4K experience.

Really owners of anything RX 6800 - RX 6900 XT or RTX 3060Ti - RTX 3090 should be able to get really great 1440p/4K performance due to DLSS or VRS, and even an upscaling technique for the AMD cards, none of which were used in the chart above.

It's great to see a game that will finally show off what RT can do without using any rasterized lighting elements.

Last edited:

Shadowboxer

And I have no doubt that despite being officially supported, Techspot will choose not to test this on Radeon in order to hide Radeons dismal failures at ray tracing and AI upscaling. This is because after years of being on this site it’s become obvious that it’s biased.

This is of course just the beginning. There will be more RT only games coming and eventually most games wi be RT only.

The only people who should be unhappy about any of this are AMD and it’s “supporters” which includes Techspot/HUB.

I look forward at laughing at Radeon poor showing on the benchmarks of another tech site.

scavengerspc

TechSpot Elite
Well it sure as hell does look even better but what surprised me was the performance boost.
In the in-game bench @ 1080p on my 2-year-old laptop I got 11 fps higher in Extreme than what I had previously in Ultra.

Gotta give 4A a (y) (Y)

b3rdm4n

This looks so damn nice, almost enough to be a different game.

The lighting is so much improved, much more realistic, dynamic and natural, a stark difference.

Everything set to the highest possible, with RT reflections too and DLSS quality I get higher FPS than I did in 1.0.0.7 maxed out with DLSS. and it looks FAR better, from the vastly improved RTGI, the extra RT reflections, much sharper and more detailed presentation... these guys have knocked it out of the park.

DLSS 1.0 to 2.1 is also massive, Performance setting at 3440x1440 looks better than the on/off DLSS setting previously, while performing hugely better, like 40-50%+, Quality mode looks better than native and performs ~10% better than DLSS 1.0.

Shadowboxer

This looks so damn nice, almost enough to be a different game.

The lighting is so much improved, much more realistic, dynamic and natural, a stark difference.

Everything set to the highest possible, with RT reflections too and DLSS quality I get higher FPS than I did in 1.0.0.7 maxed out with DLSS. and it looks FAR better, from the vastly improved RTGI, the extra RT reflections, much sharper and more detailed presentation... these guys have knocked it out of the park.

DLSS 1.0 to 2.1 is also massive, Performance setting at 3440x1440 looks better than the on/off DLSS setting previously, while performing hugely better, like 40-50%+, Quality mode looks better than native and performs ~10% better than DLSS 1.0.
I’ve been playing it all day, I have a 2080 and running on DLSS quality at 1440p gives me like 70-100 fps.

But it’s the visuals that impressed me. It is by far the most technically impressive graphics and lighting I have ever seen in a game. Even the muzzle flash creates shadows from your expended shotgun shells as they whizz through the air.

After playing through this every other game is going to look a little worse now.

Puiu

TechSpot Elite
I'm impressed by what they did on the technical side. Too bad I won't be buying it on principal even though I have both the prequels.