Micro-ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

Given the now "Beyond GODLIKE" prices of AMDs, I'm thinking of buying a nice power packed SFF comp. One which packs the biggest CPU I can afford. Also, since this is a "cost cutting" exercise, I'll be reusing my Corsair 550Mhz DDR1 RAM. And I'll probably get myself a good ole 7900GT.

Now, I've got a problem. I'm not sure what m/b would be good for such a system, or the case thatl'l fit all these in. Can someone help? :p

The case looks good, but the m/b has built in GPU which I know I'll never use....

Also, I'd like to add that I'm going the way of the Monash SFF, cept that I'm using a single graphics card. I'm also thinking of OC, so I'm going watercooling into the whole mix (albeit a smaller watercooling kit).

Its gonna be small, but its not by any means puny :D

AFAIK, eVGA is more well known for selling GeForce cards than motherboards. And is that Australian dollars or US dollars coz if it's US dollars.....it's a rip-off. Otherwise, it looks good.

What about the power supply? You shouldn't use a generic PSU. I'm not sure if the Aspire case comes with a PSU, but if it does, don't use it. Aspire PSU's are mostly crap.

You should get a quality PSU, unless you wanna fry your components :hotouch: .

Good luck!

Yeah, thats the Aussie price.

I was just looking at some SFF cases, and it seems like with some tools, I might be able to fit a 2x120mm radiator on the top, and maybe even fit some handles for LAN party portability :D

Or does anyone know of any SFF case that has 120mm fans?

And about that PSU, I'm gonna get the biggest PSU I can find. Hopefully something that's 650W from a reputable company. Maybe more. With this m/b, I might run 2 x 7900GT OCed.

Try the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU. It's gotten top reviews by almost every site which has reviewed it and it's more cheaper than the other 650W+ PSUs out there, which is the reason I bought it. Or u can go for the Thermaltake 750W PSU but I recommend the OCZ from experience. Plus it comes with a 3-year replacement warranty.

I agree with KingCody. Maybe a matx board is a little big. And it would be difficult to put two 7900GT in a SFF. Maybe it won't fit, maybe yes.

Wait, its not Monash, its Monarch.

They had SLI 7900GTX or something in an mATX. Which is good....

mini-ITX is way too small, but I'm interested. Any links to mobos and case with mini-ITX specs?

Lol, SLi in a SFF case! Overclocking that maybe a bad idea:hotbounce

Maybe one 7950gx2?

I just put my Biostar Tforce6100-939 and 3200+ Winchester in a micro ATX desktop case and the temps went up to the point I set it back to stock speed. :blackeye: And thats using onboard video, cooling with 80mm in and 80mm out.

This is where my system will differ to yours: I'll be installing watercooling in mine :D

There will also be a 120mm fan expelling air, in addition to another 120mm in the power supply. That 120mm will be expelling air through the watercooling radiator, killing 2 birds with one stone.

Of course, there is a chance that all this cooling will not work, but I'm willing to experiment. Besides, worst case scenario is that I buy a smaller GC and fit the bigger one elsewhere :D

Watercooling may help but it seems difficult to get it right in an SFF system, given the severe lack of space compared to an ATX high-tower system. Wouldn't it become too congested with the watercooling rig?

you don't really need a ton a space for water cooling, especially if you don't use a reservoir. the only component that needs to be inside the case is the waterblock itself (and of course the hoses that connect it the rest of the loop).

even a mATX case should have plenty of room for water cooling

cheers :wave:

I've taken a look at some casings online, and I found that some of them seem to have space enough for a small pump, and an extremely small reservoir in the front corner. I will definately be able to fit a single 120mm radiator at the back, but before physically looking at it, I won't be able to tell if I can fit a 2x120mm radiator without the radiator jutting out.

But as King Cody mentioned, I don't need space to put in watercooling, can easily be a seperate system outside the box, although I hope that wouldn't be the case, I'd love to be able to bring this around to LAN parties, without worrying about hoses being unlpugged.

Also, after some deliberation, I decided I probably won't run SLI, given the low price/performance ratio. From here, I've got no idea how to differentiate good mATX m/b from the ones available....

My Core 2 Duo maxed out priming at a temp of 39c with my Hyper 48 while clocked at 2.55 GHz, that's like a AMD X2 or dual core FX at 3-3.2GHz. LOL. SFF is for Core, water is now useless. I payed $219 for the $189 processor.

KingCore. :stickout:

How about the GPU? Sides, I think I'll be overclocking. There's also no mATX Conroe m/b out there at the moment, and if there is, it'll cost a bomb.

I must say that is quite impressive, but I've got my OCed northwood doing about the same temp as yours. But water is still the way to go for high end SFF. Temps tend to be higher in SFF cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back