Microsoft employee explains decision to scrap the Start button

Jos

Staff

One of the biggest gripes that longtime Windows users have with the upcoming OS release is Microsoft's decision to pull the classic Start menu to make way for a new Metro start screen. Many have called out the company for forcing what they claim is a touch-friendly interface optimized for tablets on desktop users, worried that productivity might suffer as a result.

But Microsoft believes the Start button had actually fallen out of favor with users of Windows 7 already and that presented the opportunity to do something new.

Speaking to PC Pro, Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, explained that telemetry data was a big part of the decision. Apparently Start menu usage was dropping as more people favored pinning their most used applications on the Windows 7 taskbar.

“We saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying, ‘look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?’”

"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast."

Sareen also dismissed criticism that the Metro interface is better suited for touchscreen devices, highlighting the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name on the Metro Start screen using a keyboard, and mentioning how laptops should get updated touchpad drivers to improve gesture controls.

Permalink to story.

Whoa so let me get this straight they say a drop in usage... so that means they are secretly gathering information about us and all without us knowing.... that's what it sounds like I mean how else can they find out a drop in usage lol

Of course he will say how great win8 is....he would get fired if he didnt...
After playing with win8 for awhile.....its not very 'desktop friendly'
I will stay with win7......and so will most companies..

"highlighting the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name"; This function was also provided by the start menu.

They replaced the start menu which did not hinder your multitasking with a start screen that blocks your entire screen preventing you from multitasking. Any one that argues you can't multitask because your eyes can only focus on one thing, needs to step away from the computer and go play with some wooden blocks.

Whoa so let me get this straight they say a drop in usage... so that means they are secretly gathering information about us and all without us knowing.... that's what it sounds like I mean how else can they find out a drop in usage lol

Surveys

^Guest, they probably used surveys.

They do realize that we only can pin the stuff to the task bar after we open from the Start menu, right?
Win7 is run on TONS of business PCs being used by semi-PCliterate users who don't even use keyboard shortcuts. Good luck getting these businesses to upgrade to Win 9 (they'll skip Win8 anyway, since 7 is so good) without a start button. I'd put money on it, that there will be a version of windows in the future with a start button. Maybe Win9 business version, but it'll be there.

I don't want to type on the keyboard to find my application....too much of a hassle...
'point and click' is still the easiest way ....

They gather data like that from the Customer Experience Improvement Program built into it.

And my taskbar is full of open software, not pinned websites. Microsoft is making a big mistake by removing Start. I have already mentioned this change to some of the CEOs I work for and their response was, "so we're sticking with windows 7?".

An I-d-I-o-t-I-c decision. Typical Microsoft. Instead of asking users what they want Microsoft TELLS users what they want.

The stupidity of a full screen programs browing/launching screen that cannot be scaled down is going to be on parade as soon as people realize that everything that makes Windows familliar is moved and they can't have a browser open in a window AND use it to guide them through the menu at the same time.

We should all thank MS for being so self involved and self important; more developers are going to move and have stated a move to Linux in the upcoming year. I'll stick with Win 7 till Linux has had more GUI development and 3rd party SW development, then I'll switch.

So thanks MS for your epic arrogance in trying to feed us crap and call it apple pie.. A great many of us are not quite so stupid as to believe it.

All you hear from Bill Gates these days is how he wants population reduction through vaccines and gene modified food. He gets all excited about how plant and human dna is interchangable. Why? Because Bill Gates knows what is best for you. From your use of the taskbar to consumption of food, to medical and even if you should live at all. The guy is psychotic, so dont rationalize stupidity like removing start menu.. next they'll be coming for your nads.

I honestly can't understand why they can't just keep it. Who cares if nobody uses it?

Even if you have to go into 'advanced mode' to enable it, it would make those people who like it happy, and the computer illiterate people would never know and would not want to worry about it.

Sigh.

I have been using Win 8 sexclusively since the Consumer Preview. Everybody complains that the start button is gone; however they have an option to bring it back, so you never have to leave the desktop if you don't want. There is also a way to default the startup to the Desktop application so system admins of businesses just need to set that up and most people will be completely unphased by the switch to Win 8 from their point of view but will have some performance boosts.

Anyone remember the joke about having to push the start button to shut down?

"highlighting the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name"; This function was also provided by the start menu.

They replaced the start menu which did not hinder your multitasking with a start screen that blocks your entire screen preventing you from multitasking. Any one that argues you can't multitask because your eyes can only focus on one thing, needs to step away from the computer and go play with some wooden blocks.

I'm not necessarily for or against Metro (I guess I lean more toward the former because I don't use the Start menu and I think Metro is a valid implementation for touch devices), but saying it hinders multitasking hasn't been my experience.

The Start menu provides a pretty one-dimensional, partially redundant functionality. You can open it and search for programs by typing or access one of the immediate shortcuts that are likely on your taskbar anyway -- at least that's the case for me.

Metro requires the same amount of actions to access and search for programs, so that functionality is unchanged. However, you can configure the Metro screen to host live tiles that are relevant to you. Not only does this provide one-click access to a screen of information you care about (at least in theory), it can quickly supply this information in passing. What I mean is, you open Metro to access your email or search for a program and you're instantly updated on a dozen other things without doing anything extra.

That doesn't sound like it's hindering multitasking. What's more, if you're truly concerned about productivity, you likely have multiple displays that will remain visible while Metro is open. All of my communication-oriented applications are on a secondary display (Steam, Pidgin, Post Box etc.) so it's not like Metro prevents me from seeing a new message. I don't think this would be the case even with a single display, because you're only accessing Metro very briefly on a desktop, not using it as your primary interface.

I can't stand desktop icons or filling my taskbar with pinned apps. Almost all my main programs are in my start menu and only 5 programs pinned to the taskbar, including my recycle bin which I moved to the far right just before my system tray icons.

MS is full of it. they got rid of it because they want us to like Metro. But since MS has come public with why they removed it, I hope the comments they read influence them to return it to its rightful place.

The fact that Windows 8 has two "desktops" (Metro and standard desktop) is fail enough.

My thoughts on metro and the lack of a start button are starting to change as we get closer to launch. You can get keyboards for tablets to make the almost a laptop. With metro I see Microsoft making laptops the double as tablets. That is a game changer. I don't like using a trackpad on my laptop too much so the idea of just being able to touch the screen(if I so choose) is appealing to me. Especially if Windows 8 laptops are much like Microsofts's surface. At this point I'm content to wait until this goes mainstream to make up my mind about Windows 8 and metro.

I honestly can't understand why they can't just keep it. Who cares if nobody uses it?

Even if you have to go into 'advanced mode' to enable it, it would make those people who like it happy, and the computer illiterate people would never know and would not want to worry about it.

Sigh.

Its common methodology for corporations theses days, to replace creativity with a "reinvent-the-wheel" mindset. Who ever can give the appearance of progressive dominance, weather it is empty or not, clearly thinks they deserve your attention. If not your money. This way they never have to provide real innovations all the while continuing a steady stream of income.

I use the Start button allot !! I will start a riot if there is no way I can use it in Win 8. It make supporting MS products easier if you don't have internet and have to guide someone to fix something

I will hire myself a programmer to make me one !!
maybe even create a FB page to support the cause!( I dont have a fb account)

You do realize Bill Gates is retired, and the Windows 8 changes are part of Ballmar and co, not Gates.

Back