Microsoft has started issuing Windows 10 update notifications to owners of the original OS

midian182

Staff member

Remember the controversy – and lawsuits – Microsoft faced last year over the aggressive tactics it employed when promoting the Windows 10 upgrade offer? It seems the Redmond company is once again trying to encourage users to update their systems, but this time the situation is slightly different.

It has been almost exactly two years since the public release of Windows 10, and this original iteration of the OS – Version 1507 – stopped receiving security patches on May 9.

In a recent blog post, John Cable, Director of Program Management for Windows Servicing and Delivery, announced that those still running the initial Windows 10 release will start receiving desktop notifications advising them that, as version 1507 is deemed “end of service,” they will no longer receive “the monthly quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats.”

Those with the older version of the OS will also see a button with the notification that upgrades their system to the latest Windows release – version 1703, known as the Creators Update.

It’s likely that, for whatever reasons, not everyone will be keen to update Windows, and won’t be happy about Microsoft pushing them into action. But in light of the recent worldwide WannaCry and NotPetya ransomware attacks, the company wants to do all it can to help protect its customers, so upgrading to the latest version is advisable.

As with other updates, the Creators Update rollout isn’t reaching systems at a particularly fast rate. At the end of May, just 15.2 percent of US users had updated Windows 10 to version 1703.

Permalink to story.

Some people chose not to upgrade for a reason. I've already dealt with the 1607 update effectively crashing my Surface Pro 3 to the point it was unusable for work. M$ has had some issues with their updates even on their own hardware, so some people and particularly large businesses are wary of these big updates. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage comes into play here. Sure keeping your OS up to date is important for the malware out there but good security practices and user awareness also go a long ways in protecting your system. All that being said I've just installed update 1703 on my SP3 and so far am pleasantly surprised, it is working well. I hope it stays that way...

We've avoided Windows 10 for production in our environment due to the limited number of W10 devices having lots of issues, but I hope things are getting better so we can update. Windows 7 has just been so solid there isn't much reason to update other than security update concerns.

Sure, the update process is always nail-biting, but it just has to be done. At least I've found the creators update to finally be the stable windows that 10 was meant to be. (desktop)

I haven't had any significant issues with any updates. Had to update a program or 2 and the email got messed up but simply running a repair for it fixed the issue. Nothing that was life threatening or anything serious.

I have simply turned everything off under privacy. I don't use or need those on. I use CCleaner to disable or uninstall everything else I just don't need or use. Works for me.

By no means is windows 10 perfect but I like it. I don't really mind adjusting things to my liking. Make take some people time to adjust to it but overall it works as it always has, at least for me.

I sometimes goes to this conspiracy website, and one of the most fascinating things is how many of the people there disable Windows Update as soon as they get a new compute. They're so paranoid about Microsoft spying on them. There was a real dilemma when that ransomware spreading a couple of months ago, because of the idea of having to update.

Might as well just get Linux.

Those who get infected have only themselves to blame. Being updated has very little to do with it. You are delusional if you think being updated will protect you from stupidity.

Probably a somewhat accurate statement. I've disabled updates on my win7 box years ago and use internet all the time, without AV or AM protection and have never had anything suspicious. It mostly comes down to the user, usually those not familiar with their system who get duped into clicking things they shouldn't.

Those who get infected have only themselves to blame. Being updated has very little to do with it. You are delusional if you think being updated will protect you from stupidity.

There is no protection against stupidity. However, updates breaking things are likely to further the threshold of stupidity by getting the users to be more involved in such matters.

Actually no.... Being updated can mitigate stupidity.... as many of the ransomware viruses don't work on up-to-date Windows PCs....

Of course, being stupid can defeat even the most perfect system - one of those stupid things, however, is not to update :)

Those who don't update have only themselves to blame when they get affected by bad-ware.
Here we go again. Yet another clueless argument. The way people got wannacry was by having the netbios ports open on their firewall. To anyone who has them open, that is ignorance at best, stupidity at worst since it tells the entire world, Here I am! Come get me!
Our fellow posters here don't get this. No matter how many times you tell them. Updates that prevent you from using your PC are the best way, according to M$ and our fellow posters here, to avoid malware, viruses and such. After all, if your PC is broken, how can you get a virus?
Great, XP v2.0 is out.
I'd go further back - NT at best!

Probably a somewhat accurate statement. I've disabled updates on my win7 box years ago and use internet all the time, without AV or AM protection and have never had anything suspicious. It mostly comes down to the user, usually those not familiar with their system who get duped into clicking things they shouldn't.
Actually, it is more than an accurate statement, at least as I see it. I have also had updates disabled, and I've been on the internet since the mid 90's and have never caught a virus. Most of that time was without any virus scanner, and even though I have been running one for the past five years or so, it has never, ever notified me of a detection. All it takes to not get a virus is a sharp eye, and a sound firewall. Most viruses are socially engineered. So if you are not opening e-mail with a subject that reads hey check this out, or hot babes here, or some other crap from your friends that are too stupid to have secure passwords, then you, imo, have a slim chance of getting any virus.

I've seen my company bombarded by phishing attacks recently, but those are easy to spot.

I have also noted that most virus scanners have a heuristic means to detect previously unknown viruses; however, those heuristic methods produce false positives. I suppose virus scanner makers need to put some crap in there in order to make you think you need a virus scanner to keep you safe and line their pockets with money. I'm not buying.

Fear is a great motivator.

IMO, this recent announcement from M$ is more likely to foist more bloat on users that don't need it - like performance draining GPU monitoring and other bloat. My dual core Opteron 1220 running XP comes up faster than my E5-1650v2 rubbing 10.

I notice my system is running version 1511. I remember I allowed MS to install 1607 and it came up with the warning that due to changes in some form of DRM, some music on my computer wouldn't be able to be played after the update. I searched everywhere to try and find out exactly what would be rendered useless and couldn't find accurate information on the MS website or anywhere, and the warning didn't list any of the files it had 'detected' so I gave up on the update and Windows 10 hasn't tried to update since.

Does anyone have any information about the DRM changes in 1607?

...and of course the best hack is the one that you do not know is there. Copy what you want and do whatever it is that bad guys do

[All it takes to not get a virus is a sharp eye, and a sound firewall.

Usually... but drive-by malware infections do happen on rare occasions, and even savvy people have a brain-fart moment now and then. You greatly reduce the odds, but it's not 100%.

Back