Microsoft plans to release a new standalone version of Office in 2021

Polycount

Something to look forward to: Microsoft may be putting most of its Office-related development resources into its cloud-based Office 365 suite, but it hasn't given up on standalone versions of the productivity software. According to a Microsoft Exchange Team blog post, a new version of Office's "perpetual" version is indeed in the works.

The Exchange Team didn't go into many details about the new Office release, unfortunately. In fact, they only mentioned it in a single line, which reads as follows: "Microsoft Office will also see a new perpetual release for both Windows and Mac, in the second half of 2021."

So, there you have it. Standalone Office is finally back after a lengthy hiatus -- the last version of the software to release was Office 2019, which actually came out around this time in 2018.

It's unclear what new features we can expect to see in Office 2021 (or perhaps 2022), but we wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pulls a few ideas from Office 365. Even so, standalone versions of Office will never be as up-to-date as their live counterparts, but that's something plenty of customers will probably be willing to live with.

Swapping constant feature updates for reliable, 24/7 offline document access is a pretty fair trade, all things considered.

We're not sure how much the new version of Office will cost, but we'll be sure to update you when Microsoft releases more information about it.

Permalink to story.

Good. I get very angry when I see people use 365 when they are the people using the very basic functions of this type of the apps. In3 years you will give MS over 300 dollars!
It is crazy, and it is a waste of money. I know many people who use one version of the office for 4-5 years, that includes me too. I have such low requirements of this app that I don't even need to upgrade in five years.
Stop wasting money, buy the version that you pay once and you don't pay too much.
Also check out poached keys from Ebay. It is the best offer for the best office apps if you are not into piracy and have a very low budget, but at the same time want something that is a genuine licensed office app.

Good. I get very angry when I see people use 365 when they are the people using the very basic functions of this type of the apps. In3 years you will give MS over 300 dollars!
It is crazy, and it is a waste of money. I know many people who use one version of the office for 4-5 years, that includes me too. I have such low requirements of this app that I don't even need to upgrade in five years.
Stop wasting money, buy the version that you pay once and you don't pay too much.
Also check out poached keys from Ebay. It is the best offer for the best office apps if you are not into piracy and have a very low budget, but at the same time want something that is a genuine licensed office app.

Yep, I'm still using 2010 and it does everything I need. While I doubt I would upgrade, I'll talk to a few "bleeding edge" friends to see how they like it and if it's worth the time and money. One of them is a professional writer so his opinion will carry some weight; the others are old geezers like me that won't spend a dime (even the one they found on the street) if their lives depended upon it. At this late stage, just what exactly can they add? Time will tell .......

Their subscription model is the reason I moved over to libre office. While not as good as office, for the price you can't beat it ;

Depends on how you look at it. When you buy it with a computer its only $50 and thats a lot cheaper than $130+ standalone.
Also some schools and businesses only give you 365, no other option. So ppl take that but end up buying the same one later on cause thats what they know.
Plus some ppl have to have 365 as that is the only one with cloud, publisher n access. There are a few other programs that MS use that require 365 also.

Now if someone just wants office then sure the standalone should be just fine.

Libre office someone mentioned but its not as good and its either to complicated or they are just to use to office.

Depends on how you look at it. When you buy it with a computer its only $50 and thats a lot cheaper than $130+ standalone.
Also some schools and businesses only give you 365, no other option. So ppl take that but end up buying the same one later on cause thats what they know.
Plus some ppl have to have 365 as that is the only one with cloud, publisher n access. There are a few other programs that MS use that require 365 also.

Libre office someone mentioned but its not as good and its either to complicated or they are just to use to office.
Ebay office keys are 5 -10 dollars. Google, how where do I buy MS office cheap? ... ...www.ebay.com ===> office key

LibreOffice users should go into the settings (Tools/options/Load-save/General) and change the default file format to Office 2007-365. This prevents a lot of incompatibility issues. LibreOffice 7 is pretty darn good.

You can use any Office version and be good unless you're a pro that requires some special features. I never could notice the difference between Office versions except visual ones. Subscribing to use Office 365 must be a pain in the butt.

I tried LibreOffice and OpenOffice, both are fine for basic usage at least.

Ebay office keys are 5 -10 dollars. Google, how where do I buy MS office cheap? ... ...www.ebay.com ===> office key
You can always buy things cheap online, no one said you couldn't. Most won't and a lot can be unreliable also. Any issues with the code, ms won't help you.

Yes I subscribe to Office 365 (more fool me right) - this does include 1TB of OneDrive as well though which I do use. So if you factor in the cloud storage the £59.99 a year isn't too excessive.

Been buying mine on Ebay for a few bucks for years now. Not an issue to find a reliable reseller, key is checked at Microsoft website before you even download so no fear of being rejected. Currently using 2019 and love it, snatched it for 3 bucks actually, so I would recommend to anyone to try this method... you really can't lose much even if it doesn't work.

Also, I reinstall my Windows every 5 years approx, so I would have to live a very long time till it begins to be a worse value than "normal one".

Office 365 is a big rip off. Most people don't use it often enough to justify a yearly subscription.

I'm still using Office 2004 - I think that was the best version - before the Ribbon. But I do have to have 2013 for compatibility issues - haven't felt the need to go beyond that! No monthly subscriptions!

"So, there you have it. Standalone Office is finally back after a lengthy hiatus -- the last version of the software to release was Office 2019, which actually came out around this time in 2018."

Isn't that the exact way they always release the standalone versions? 03, 07, 10, 13, 17, 19, etc....

I just use Open Office. It's free, it has more than everything that most people will ever need, and it's a piece of cake to use. EZPZ

I didn't have Office but needed it for work. Looked at the standalone vs 365. At the time it was cheaper to go with 365 sub due to it being constantly updated and worked out to $90 a year either way. It's about to expire on me again since I've done it twice. I won't do the subscription anymore. It is a pain doing it that way.

Back