Microsoft plans to remove Paint from Windows, but will still live at the Store

midian182

Staff member

Update (7/24): Microsoft has clarified their stance on the apparently secretly-loved-by-the-masses Paint app. Yes, Paint will be eventually removed from the core group of bundled Windows applications, but "MS Paint" as Microsoft is calling it will simply move to the Windows Store as a free download.

Furthermore, the newer Paint 3D will continue to be bundled and actively updated. Paint 3D was added with the Windows 10 Creators Update, and it's a modern take of the Paint app, with better support for stylus hardware and 3D capabilities, in addition to standard/basic photo editing tools.

This is what Microsoft posted in the Windows blog hours after the Paint story was widely reported online:

Today, we’ve seen an incredible outpouring of support and nostalgia around MS Paint. If there’s anything we learned, it’s that after 32 years, MS Paint has a lot of fans. It’s been amazing to see so much love for our trusty old app. Amidst today’s commentary around MS Paint we wanted to take this opportunity to set the record straight, clear up some confusion and share some good news: MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free.

After being around for 32 years and becoming one of the most recognized elements of the Windows operating system, Microsoft is planning to kill off graphics app Paint. The Redmond firm has threatened to depreciate the long-running program in the next Windows 10 update.

In a list of “Features that are removed or depreciated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update,” Paint is one of the items classed as “not in active development and might be removed in future releases."

Paint started out as a 1-bit monochrome licensed version of ZSoft’s PC Paintbrush in the first version of Windows 1.0 in 1985. Having been around for over three decades, and with the introduction of Paint 3D in April’s Windows 10 Creators Update, it seems as if the program will soon become nothing more than part of Windows' history.

While it was far from best graphics app and pales in comparison to professional programs, it’s still used by millions for a bit of quick and easy editing.

System Image Backup (SIB) solution is also being depreciated. Microsoft is pointing users to “full-disk backup solutions from other vendors” as an alternative.

Windows features that are definitely being removed include Outlook Express, Reader App and Reader list (both being integrated into Edge), and encryption utility Syskey, which Microsoft says is insecure - it recommends people use BitLocker instead.

No official word yet on when Paint might be removed from Windows. We still don’t know the exact date when the Fall Creators Update will arrive, either, though it’s expected to roll out sometime this October.

Permalink to story.

I will be sad if paint is removed. It's extremely convenient having a basic image editor available on all Windows computers. Maybe Microsoft is replacing it with 3D Paint?

That said, Paint.net is excellent, it just lacks the same convenience of being on any computer you use.

I just updated a laptop (to what I thought was the Creator's Update. Maybe there's more than one??), but they added "Paint 3D." Which is exactly like "Paint" except now you can add 3D models to color in and design.
So maybe they removed Paint for Paint 3D which would make sense, or is this story about removing Paint 3D as well?

Paint 3D replaces the classic Paint application. UI is a bit different, but it still has a classic 2D mode that functions like Paint.

[sniff] Goodbye old friend. :'(
I remember we were advised to use Paint as a way of familiarising ourselves with using a mouse when they first came out. I still use it very occasionally to this day.

My primary objection comes by way of: Why actually push an update to remove something that isn't particularly harmful or broken? Paint doesn't serve much purpose but it doesn't take up much space and occasionally it comes in handy (ignoring the incredible art a vanishingly small subset of people create). We should not wake up one day and find it's gone.

If you arent gonna include it, at least give us a download. Its not exactly like its taking up hardly any hard drive space or system resources, and I actually use it if I wanna do something basic REALLY fast on occasion.

While there are several out there that have more features, the old paint was pretty good. What a shame they don't update it and keep the old girl working. . . . . . .

Why do companies insist on removing that is actually a useful tool? I use this daily at work because it is lightweight, and I don't have to fight load times with a virtual client. Someone earlier posted getting rid of bing and edge...

Anybody who isn't a beginner should be using GIMP. It's almost as good has Photoshop, but it's free.

Paint.net is your friend. Free, very small footprint, easy to use, much more powerful than Paint if you want to dig into it's options.

Paint is still around lol

I have only seen Fresh Paint and 3D a few times. I know about GIMP, didn't know about Paint.net.

So is Fresh Paint = Paint or is that something different?

Well heck, what am I going to use now? :(

Paint.NET is the best free painting tool for Windows. Here's direct download link.

There is also GIMP, which is way more powerful and cross-platform, just not as slick-looking :)

Nice alternatives, but extreme overkill. Thats the point about trusty ol' Paint, its just great for the simple jobs. I suppose 3D Paint will be the replacement, but like most uwp apps, well, no comment. lol

Back