Microsoft Runtime Library C++ Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, hope someone might be able to help as I'm pulling hair out now!

I had the following showing up whenever I tried to open My Computer, Control Panel, folders etc:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\windows\explorer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I wonder if it may be connected to the fact that I just installed the new IE7 - not sure if I can do anything to reverse that now (system restore isn't working), but I decided that as there's so much rubbish on my system anyway I'd clear it and start again from scratch.

Anyways, I backed up all my essentials, and ran the supplied restore disk (which I undertand is not the full windows program, just a recovery thing?), but for some reason it won't start up. I tried the switching setting to CD-ROM in BIOS thing, disks are already set up to autorun, so I can't think what to do to get it to start the process. Any suggestions?

p.s. The slim handbook which accompanied the PC says 'insert disk' and then 'restoration procedures will be started'. No mention of what to do if said procedures aren't started! Good old MS. Appreciate any help with this, thanks

start PC with restore disk in

razielle said:
Hi all, hope someone might be able to help as I'm pulling hair out now!

I had the following showing up whenever I tried to open My Computer, Control Panel, folders etc:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\windows\explorer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I wonder if it may be connected to the fact that I just installed the new IE7 - not sure if I can do anything to reverse that now (system restore isn't working), but I decided that as there's so much rubbish on my system anyway I'd clear it and start again from scratch.

Anyways, I backed up all my essentials, and ran the supplied restore disk (which I undertand is not the full windows program, just a recovery thing?), but for some reason it won't start up. I tried the switching setting to CD-ROM in BIOS thing, disks are already set up to autorun, so I can't think what to do to get it to start the process. Any suggestions?

p.s. The slim handbook which accompanied the PC says 'insert disk' and then 'restoration procedures will be started'. No mention of what to do if said procedures aren't started! Good old MS. Appreciate any help with this, thanks

commonly, you are expected to put the CD in, THEN reboot your PC. If that doesnt start the CD you should double-check the bios to make sure CD is first in the hardware boot sequence.

The actual message you're getting seems to suggest the C++ runtime files on your PC have NOT been correctly updated by the installation of IE7, or are corrupted. You could check MS website, download IE7 update again and install again. I am not familiar with IE7, but if the site has more than one download, there may be a 'full' download which includes all the necessary support libraries and an 'update' download which only gives you the latest application-alone changes, if you follow me? You would then have the wrong one.....

Thanks, have been doing that though, starting with the CD in, the CD drive makes a sound but nothing happens on screen. When I'm in windows the drive is behaving normally, plays everything as it should etc. Yeah, the CD is set as first in the boot sequence in BIOS.

Tried reinstalling IE7 too, but it's made no difference. Really don't know what else to do to try and sort it out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back