Microsoft says it's time to kill off the password

midian182

Staff member

No matter how many times people are warned, the most popular passwords are still terrible. They make it easy for hackers to steal identities and are the main source of data loss. It’s one of the reasons why Microsoft has called for the password to be killed off.

The Redmond firm says passwords are a relic from the early days of computing that have outlived their usefulness. And that having to change them regularly to another hard-to-remember string of text isn’t the best or most secure solution.

Bret Arsenault, corporate vice president and chief information security officer at Microsoft, said: “For several decades, the industry has focused on securing devices. That model needs a makeover. Securing devices is important, but it’s not enough. We should also be focused on securing individuals. We can enhance your experience and security by letting you become the password.”

One of Microsoft’s answers to what it sees as the password problem is Windows Hello, which verifies users’ identities using facial, fingerprint, and even iris scanning. The company says it's used by most of its employees, and that 70 percent of Windows 10 owners with Biometric-enabled devices choose Windows Hello over regular passwords.

Microsoft is also on FIDO’s board of directors. The Fast Identity Online Alliance works with industry leaders including Intel and Google to develop specifications and certifications for password-replacing technology like USB tokens, biometrics, and mobile-based solutions.

But Windows Hello isn’t infallible, at least on older versions of the OS. Last week, German security firm SYSS discovered they could trick its facial recognition tech using a printed headshot, though it only works on Windows 10 systems that haven’t yet received the Fall Creators Update.

The other big company pushing the virtues of biometric authentication is, of course, Apple. Despite several examples of its Face ID system being tricked by photos and users' relatives, the system is still expected to arrive in the company’s other devices next year.

Permalink to story.

This is the right way to go, although the facial recognition will always be the easiest one to fake, and thus of little use.

The most secure approach is the combo of Palm + Retina.

Well it is my understanding that they can't issue a warrant for you to give up your password as it's self incrimination. I vaguely remember so ruling where they said unlocking a phone with a finger print is not. I see any biometrics falling under the same ruling as finger print scanners.

All of my passwords are unique and most are above 15 characters, not really in a rush to give that up as it's taken me nearly 20 years to turn remembering all that into a skill....

Hahaha no.

They want facial recognition so that they know who's using it.

I rather keep my password since that does what its supposed to do: keeping people out.
The only people who can defeat even weak passwords are elite gangsters or agencies, they'd defeat facial recognition too so what?

You can use a password like Password8 and it will keep 99% of the people living on earth out including your children and neighbor and co workers. Unless ofc they brute force their way in.

Typing the password is still faster Windows Hello especially if you didn't invest thousends in a laptop or computer for such whistler.
But I understand M$ because they have unlimited resources to have fun everyday.

They're so full of **** when they talk about how making me a password is gonna "improve my experience". What happens when facial recognition fails? You usually have to type in the password like you used to

How convenient Microsoft wants us to get rid of passwords in favor of biometrics, which cannot be protected (you can be forced to give up your face/finger, but not a password), are woefully insecure compared to passwords, are super easy to copy, cannot be changed if they are hacked, and can be used to personally identify you, right around the same time they are pushing the spyware knows as windows 10.

MS can collectively go punch themselves in the nads. My password is far more secure then any horribly implemented biometric system, and I will sooner go live in the mountains as a hermit then give MS my biometric data,or google, or apple, or any company.

Both facial and thumbprint recognition has been proven many times that it can be fooled. Now of course different systems vary in quality, but a password is very consistent and is as secure as it is complex. Sure there are key loggers and social engineering methods to get passwords but then they can be easily changed after a breach. You can't change your face or thumbprint after an attacker has it and could potentially use it on other services. Might as well be a form of identity theft.

Don't really know much about iris scanners but I don't think they are as cost effective as we would like them to be.

Passwords will be sticking around for a while longer... sorry guys.

1. Stalk social media, obtain good face pic.
2. Buy $200 3D printer, print out 3D mask.
3. User thinks ??? when his account is hacked.
4. Profit!

I only have one set of bio metric markers and it seems impossible to change them if the company has a leak or a hack. I would rather just stick to passwords.

I really, really, really loathe, this a**hole Nadella who is running M$ these days. Every time that son of a bit3h opens his yap, you can feel the shaft go farther up your backside.

This sounds like another bullsh!t story, contrived to force you into adopting Windows 10, nothing more...:mad::mad::mad:

I really, really, really loathe, this a**hole Nadella who is running M$ these days. Every time that son of a bit3h opens his yap, you can feel the shaft go farther up your backside.

This sounds like another bullsh!t story, contrived to force you into adopting Windows 10, nothing more...:mad::mad::mad:

...and Apple is not taking the same approach?

My Windows Lumia 950 phone recognizes me with and without either of my two pairs of glasses. The algorithm appears to be quite sophisticated.

...and Apple is not taking the same approach?
Well, the douche who is now running M$, has been trying to run in the ruts of Apple's business model since he took over. He doesn't really have any skill, ability, finesse or talent. He's merely imitative, pushy, and most likely works for a tenth of what Bill Gates got.

Well, the douche who is now running M$, has been trying to run in the ruts of Apple's business model since he took over. He doesn't really have any skill, ability, finesse or talent. He's merely imitative, pushy, and most likely works for a tenth of what Bill Gates got.

Actually - financially speaking, MS is doing very well. Almost all manufacturing/Engineering companies are still using Windows software and many are using both Win 10 and Office 365, as well as cloud services by MS. In January of 2017, MS shares were at $62. They are now at $85. According to the Motley Fool. "Microsoft once looked like a dinosaur doomed to a slow decline as companies like Apple usurped it. That's no longer the case, and investors who buy shares won't be getting a relic of computing past, they'll buying into a company that has transformed into one of the brands that will power the future"

Actually - financially speaking, MS is doing very well. Almost all manufacturing/Engineering companies are still using Windows software and many are using both Win 10 and Office 365, as well as cloud services by MS. In January of 2017, MS shares were at $62. They are now at $85. According to the Motley Fool. "Microsoft once looked like a dinosaur doomed to a slow decline as companies like Apple usurped it. That's no longer the case, and investors who buy shares won't be getting a relic of computing past, they'll buying into a company that has transformed into one of the brands that will power the future"

OK, and the Dow Jones is now in excess of 24,000, since Trump took office. Do you think that could have M$ coat tailing those industrial gains. Or do you think they did it all on their lonesome?,

The guy is copying Apple's business model, and he's a duplicitous. $%^&*(@. What part of Apple is still succeeding beyond M$' wildest stolen dreams, is unclear?

In case you missed it Steve Baumer was Bill Gates childhood friend or longtime business partner, along with being an imbecile, magna cum laude. Without Bill Gates around to think for him, he was pretty much lost. He's the one who ran M$ into the ground with that Windows 8 all touch sh!t. They pretty much had nowhere to go but up after that fiasco.

Last edited:
OK, and the Dow Jones is now in excess of 24,000, since Trump took office. Do you think that could have M$ coat tailing those industrial gains. Or do you think they did it all on their lonesome?,

The guy is copying Apple's business model, and he's a duplicitous. $%^&*(@. What part of Apple is still succeeding beyond M$' wildest stolen dreams, is unclear?

In case you missed it Steve Baumer was Bill Gates childhood friend or longtime business partner, along with being an imbecile, magna cum laude. Without Bill Gates around to think for him, he was pretty much lost. He's the one who ran M$ into the ground with that Windows 8 all touch sh!t. They pretty much had nowhere to go but up after that fiasco.

Well let's talk about how Apple has been copying much more than MS has. Here's a partial list:
Larger sized phones: If it was up to Steve Jobs, the iphone would still be 4", max.
Wireless charging: The iPhone 8 only now has this feature but Samsung and MS/HTC/Nokia, among others have had it for years.
Facial recognition: My Lumia 950 has had it for 2 years now. Apple is finally going that way.
Decent camera with low-light abilities: Nokia's cameras were light years better than Apple's for many years.
Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) What does Apple have? - nothing as polished as the aforementioned programs.

Well let's talk about how Apple has been copying much more than MS has. Here's a partial list:
Larger sized phones: If it was up to Steve Jobs, the iphone would still be 4", max.
Wireless charging: The iPhone 8 only now has this feature but Samsung and MS/HTC/Nokia, among others have had it for years.
OK, now you've ventured off the beaten path to the land of imaginary friends and unicorns. What in god's name, does Apple building bigger phones have to do with M$ copying their closed system business model. You know, with the Windows Store, and Cloud M$ is herding its OS users to the products they can get a bigger cut from, and freeze out individual developers, the same way Apple does.

Facial recognition: My Lumia 950 has had it for 2 years now. Apple is finally going that way.
Decent camera with low-light abilities: Nokia's cameras were light years better than Apple's for many years.
Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) What does Apple have? - nothing as polished as the aforementioned programs.
As far as any of this nonsense goes, again, what in God's name does M$ have to do with Android phones or hardware?

Apple and M$ have far different product lines, it's the methodology behind their marketing strategy they're copying from Apple.

Besides, when was the last time M$ ever had a smart phone that you could get out of a warehouse, without calling in a bomb scare? I'll field that question for you. Answer, never!

Back