Microsoft Settles Be Antitrust Suit for $23.25M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Spotted at Slashdot: Without admitting wrongdoing, Microsoft today agreed to pay $23,250,000 to Be, Inc., to settle anti-trust claims against the software giant. The payout is anticipated to be used to complete the orderly dissolution of the company.
Shortly after announcing sale of key assets to Palm, Be, Inc., filed suit against Microsoft in February 2002, alleging destruction of its business via illegal exclusionary and anti-competitive business practices.

Of course, there is no such thing as 'wrongdoing' when you have 25 million to spare, right?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
This "settlement" means there will be no dual-booting computers with Windows® in the future...

Why is that Mic?

I actually feel kinda bad for Microsoft, they're always getting sued, and fined..

The lawsuit was about how MS forced OEMs not to include other operating systems to shipped machines. See Be Sues Microsoft.

Now that this is "settled", MS can keep forcing OEMs.

Edit: I should have been more precise, I meant no dual-booting computers with Windows® in stores.

I think its only a matter of time before Microsoft tries to make it so you can't even dual boot with a non-Microsoft OS at all, never mind buy one. They will probably get away with that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back