Microsoft unveils Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

midian182

Staff member

Microsoft has unveiled yet another new version of Windows 10. Rumors of its existence have been floating around for a few months, but the company has finally lifted the lid off Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

As the name suggests, this is a high-end edition of Windows 10 Pro that comes with support for server grade hardware and is designed “to meet demanding needs of mission critical and compute intensive workloads.”

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations runs ReFS (Resilient File System), which is designed to protect against data corruption and is optimized for handling huge amounts of information. There’s also support for non-volatile memory modules, giving users the fastest read/write speeds possible.

Thanks to a feature called SMB direct, which supports the use of network adapters that have Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) capability, users will find this version of Windows offers much faster file sharing times. These adaptors operate at full speed with low latency and use little CPU power, allowing increased throughput for large amounts of data across high-speed networks.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations has a focus on high-end hardware, which means support for server grade Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron processors. Unlike the current Windows 10 Pro, which only supports up to two physical CPUs and 2TB of RAM, this newest version can handle up to four physical CPUs and up to 6TB of memory.

The newest edition of Windows will launch alongside the Fall Creators Update later this year. Once it arrives, it will take the total number of Windows 10 versions to twelve: Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, Pro Education, Enterprise LTSB, Mobile Enterprise, Mobile, IoT, S, Team, and Pro for Workstations.

Permalink to story.

But can you turn off telemetry and have user controlled update process?

Knew you guys wouldn't disappoint....can always depend on TechSpot commenters to come through with the Microsoft bashing. That being said, this is a version of Windows that will be used in enterprise environments...enterprise environments that run Active Directory....Active Directory's which are controlled by group policies....group policies which can be configured to disable telemetry and control system updates.

So yes, yes you can do that with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations...the workstation running on server grade hardware that will not be in your home office. But I'm sure you'll reply to me telling me that you have "mission critical and compute intensive workload systems" running in your home....

Just call it Windows 10 Workstation, no need for mile long name. They said it was going to be their last OS, but they are stringing it out on a thin wire of names. They're going to have to leave hardware behind at various points. Do they really want XP all over again? They already had to leave Clover Trail https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ems-wont-get-windows-10-creators-update-ever/. Albeit, it wasn't their fault, but it happens. It will be important to better differentiate between iterations.

Last edited:

Knew you guys wouldn't disappoint....can always depend on TechSpot commenters to come through with the Microsoft bashing. That being said, this is a version of Windows that will be used in enterprise environments...enterprise environments that run Active Directory....Active Directory's which are controlled by group policies....group policies which can be configured to disable telemetry and control system updates.

So yes, yes you can do that with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations...the workstation running on server grade hardware that will not be in your home office. But I'm sure you'll reply to me telling me that you have "mission critical and compute intensive workload systems" running in your home....

MORE than enough valid reasons to bash Microsoft! I've been asking for some simple assistance from them for over a year without so much as a reply. They are unworthy of praise as long as they are so aloft they will not keep their promises but are only interested in shoving their so called "solutions" down everyone's throat.

This is just what I need. It will run on a 1950x Threadripper with a 1080ti Nvidia. I have a lot of word processing and web browsing to do. I don't game much but I do overclock any way.

which only supports up to two physical CPUs and 2TB of RAM, this newest version can handle up to four physical CPUs and up to 6TB of memory
I believe the word you are looking for is "licensed"...

Just like 32-bit MS operating systems saying they can only physically support 4GB of RAM (which has been false since Pentium 1 - just google PAE 64GB), that limit strangely wasn't present in Win2k3 Server x86 for example. Microsoft artificially blocks more ram and CPUs in lower licensed OSs.

It is a pro version so that should include the policy editor - gpedit.msc

I run 10 pro on most of my PCs at home, so I know for sure that you can turn off automatic updates completely. It was rather funny, really, that when I went to install the Creator's Update, on opening "Windows Update" it told me "Your Windows is up-to-date. Last Checked - July 2016 even though it was now July 2017. All I basically had to do was to "Check For Updates."

Even if you are using the home edition, you may be able to disable windows updates by disabling the Window Update service.

Both methods are discussed at this link - https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/
Knew you guys wouldn't disappoint....can always depend on TechSpot commenters to come through with bowing to the great god Microsoft.
Fixed that for you! ;)

It is a pro version so that should include the policy editor - gpedit.msc

I run 10 pro on most of my PCs at home, so I know for sure that you can turn off automatic updates completely. It was rather funny, really, that when I went to install the Creator's Update, on opening "Windows Update" it told me "Your Windows is up-to-date. Last Checked - July 2016 even though it was now July 2017. All I basically had to do was to "Check For Updates."

Even if you are using the home edition, you may be able to disable windows updates by disabling the Window Update service.

Both methods are discussed at this link - https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

Fixed that for you! ;)

Though this is only recommended for power users. The average person should stay with the updates. Keeps my family and friends from bugging the crap out of me.

That's not bashing, it's a legitimate concern and is one of the top complaints with windows 10. It would be like bemoaning people for calling Nvidia out for their 3.5 GB of RAM and .5 of 1/4 speed RAM. It happened.

So why is microsoft just doing this so suddenly out of the blue ?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but when windows 10 got released 2 years go.
Wasn't windows 10 professional the head flagship for home and corporate business already ?
I just don't see the need to make a big announcment about that.
Just include a big update for business users only make a note in msdn newsletter or technet or even magazine.

So why is microsoft just doing this so suddenly out of the blue ?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but when windows 10 got released 2 years go.
Wasn't windows 10 professional the head flagship for home and corporate business already ?
I just don't see the need to make a big announcment about that.
Just include a big update for business users only make a note in msdn newsletter or technet or even magazine.
It's a version of windows that's directed towards a specific type of system/workload with some important new features included. It's different from the business version which still targets regular PCs or the server version.

Nah .... I just play games and watch some ....videos...like you know...
and not bashing Microsoft would sincerely want to have those two features. I have had svchost hogging all the bandwidth at critical times for more number of times than I can count.

Well, Windows 10 Pro, which is also used in enterprise environments, with Active Directory, cannot have telemetry disabled through group policy. Microsoft prevent it being disabled from 1511 onwards.
I suggest you do more research before running your mouth like you did above.

With that version 10 intact I guess you are going to see loads of ads and services bundled...

Just use Server Edition, if you want a bare minimum super clean Windows operating system...

That's not bashing, it's a legitimate concern and is one of the top complaints with windows 10. It would be like bemoaning people for calling Nvidia out for their 3.5 GB of RAM and .5 of 1/4 speed RAM. It happened.

But that's not even what the article is about...

Back