Microsoft Works Word processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannas

Um, sorry to bother you all with this but I need a bit of help with a works word file. The program does not want to open saying that it is in use, format not supported or its corrupt. I've tried re-installing works to no effect and I doubt its corrupt since I can see the text inside with a little space like a square between each character. Unfortunatly, its image heavy since its college work.

I really need to get this open so I can print it and hand it in, any ideas?

Jannas.

Oh, and I'll send it to someone willingly if they could turn it or transfer all the stuff onto a Microsoft word documant or Openoffice. I'll be eternally grateful. :)

Sometimes you can open a new document, then import the defective document and edit it there. Or save it to another format, then retrieve it from that other format. You will lose some formatting, but not the text you need.
If you have a friend with WordPerfect 9, or later, you can usually edit a Works document to repair it there.
It depends a bit on the version of Works. Do you know which version you have. If you have a friend with a later version, the more recent versions will run a repair.
If it is not private information, we would be happy to fix a copy of an emailed version, then email it back to you.

Got an email back from you :)

Thanks for helping :)

Dear everyone,
Respect raybay, end of.

Yours, Jannas

Anyone else want to take up the challenge? Ray and an entire team of professionals are stuck on it and I wonder if anyone else is interested in the bragging rights :)

John.

I doubt the file is a works file then. This sounds like it might be an older version or in fact a word/openoffice file.

Try opening the file with openoffice.

We have firmly established that it is a works file... we have not confirmed what caused the damage, or whether the culprit is malware. We have been able to recover bits of it...
It does NOT open with openoffice, any of 14 versions of Works, Word, or WordPerfect versions 7 through 12... nor Word 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back