Microsoft's latest Windows 10 preview build comes with helpful Timeline and Sets features

midian182

Staff member

Microsoft has rolled out its new Windows 10 build for Insiders in the Fast ring, bringing several improvements and new features, including Timeline and Sets, to the company’s operating system.

Timeline, you may remember, was supposed to arrive in the Fall Creators update but it never made the final cut. It’s described as an extension of Windows 10's current Task View. Essentially, it offers a visual timeline of your previous activities, allowing you to jump directly back to an earlier session and resume work.

Timeline not only covers activities that were carried out on your current PC, but also those from other Windows 10 devices you’ve been using. And thanks to Cortana integration, this will eventually include Microsoft apps on Android and iOS, too.

As well as showing relevant activities from earlier in the day, you can revert back to tasks that were carried out on specific past dates, or look for a previous activity via the search bar.

Those concerned about the feature’s privacy implications can choose which apps appear in the Timeline, or even disable it completely in the Settings Menu and new Activity History panel.

Another new feature is Sets, though this name might change in the final version. It introduces tabs to various apps that open content related to whatever it is you’re working on; this includes webpages, documents, files, etc. Sets is initially arriving in mail & Calendar, OneNote, and Edge apps.

Other changes include general improvements to Cortana, Windows Shell, Windows Settings, and My People. There’s also a new dark theme for the Edge browser, better gestures for precision touchpads, and more of Microsoft’s Fluent Design.

Permalink to story.

Even though its disabled, it would be a good thing to read what the diagnostic sends to microsoft in any case. I'm sure they send the data you do, where you go, what website you browse and more.

Even though its disabled, it would be a good thing to read what the diagnostic sends to microsoft in any case. I'm sure they send the data you do, where you go, what website you browse and more.

Solution - Turn off "send diagnostic reports" and all Windows telemetry.

BadThad,
I would love to turn off all Windows telemetry, is there a way to do that in Win10 Pro whilst leaving diagnostic reports ON? How?
How would I turn off diagnostic reports AND All telemetry?

TIA,
EZTarget

Another feature I will be turning off in Windows 10. Overall I like it as an OS but only after they make me jump through hoops to make it proper in my mind.

Once the regular version of Windows 10 looks like the LTSB, I'll make the switch.

BadThad,
I would love to turn off all Windows telemetry, is there a way to do that in Win10 Pro whilst leaving diagnostic reports ON? How?
How would I turn off diagnostic reports AND All telemetry?

TIA,
EZTarget

Try a Google search for Windows 10 block spyware. There are many choices available.

Back