Microsoft's next major Windows update will be less disruptive

Humza

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Microsoft follows a bi-annual schedule for releasing major Windows updates with the next one focused more towards performance improvements and tweaks instead of bringing any major new features. The company announced the "19H2" update for its Windows Insider Program, revealing a monthly patch-like update that installs in the background for a more seamless experience.

The Windows 10 May update did bring a lot of feature improvements including a native variable refresh rate setting, a light theme, better control over updates and improved Windows Hello. But like previous iterations, the latest version also brought a few annoyances and bugs along the way, with the company having to warn users against pairing problems with some Bluetooth devices due to security fixes, and some users reporting glitches in the Start menu and Settings app. It also blocked PCs with attached USB storage or SD cards, requiring users to disconnect the media before applying the update.

The company has recently announced details around the second major Windows update for this year, which it refers to Insiders as "19H2." It will include "a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features, and quality enhancements and will be delivered to customers running the May 2019 Update using servicing technology (like the monthly Cumulative Update process)," notes the company in its blog post.

Given that Microsoft plans to release it like a monthly patch, the update will install in the background and is less likely to disrupt the regular schedule of users. The company also notes that some insiders in the Slow ring won't see the new features right away as the released 19H2 build "contains two behind-the-scenes changes designed for OEMs" and that the update will be used to test its process and servicing pipeline for delivery to customers.

The 19H2 build was released to the Slow ring of Windows Insiders this week and if things go as planned, the update will make its way to the public in September with Microsoft gradually revealing any new features it includes along the way.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm, ok. Enterprise features? What does that mean? Actually giving system administrators control back? Naaaa...

I'd like it even better if they didn't constantly reinstall all the bloatware that I have to get rid of!
not to mention every time you fresh install 10 and uncheck everything/say no to everything it completely ignores you and does it anyway. I spend like 2-3 hours disabling **** on a fresh install. unfortunately ive become accustomed to the dark theme of windows 10 so I can't go back to 7. just waiting on linux to run all my games properly and then I'm gone.

I'm still running 1809, as I have no faith in 1903. Hoping they actually fix something in 1909, so I will feel more comfortable moving forward. If Windows Update starts downloading that trash called 1903, I'm going to be pissed.

I'd like it even better if they didn't constantly reinstall all the bloatware that I have to get rid of!
I installed it. It's a cumulative update to "Windows Next", bringing it to 18292.100000. Nothing was put back on that I removed, so far.

It will only be a matter of time before they move on from windows 10. No matter how many times they try to say its the last windows their business cycle demands a new release. whenever 10 hits market saturation the only two options to keep the money rolling would be releasing a new windows or trying to force all users of windows 10 to pay monthly dues.

not to mention every time you fresh install 10 and uncheck everything/say no to everything it completely ignores you and does it anyway. I spend like 2-3 hours disabling **** on a fresh install. unfortunately ive become accustomed to the dark theme of windows 10 so I can't go back to 7. just waiting on linux to run all my games properly and then I'm gone.

Hear hear.

Installed 1903 the other day. Still haven't yet turned it on. Not knowing is often better than knowing it's bad. Keeping hope alive.

I spend like 2-3 hours disabling **** on a fresh install. unfortunately ive become accustomed to the dark theme of windows 10 so I can't go back to 7. just waiting on linux to run all my games properly and then I'm gone.

There are plenty of dark themes for Windows 7!

I'm fortunate enough in terms of games that pretty much all of them are new to me... so I can pick and choose from the ones that work well on Linux and not worry about the rest. There are more games that I am likely to appreciate that will run on Linux than I can afford or have time for, and so far all of the Windows games that I specifically wanted to play have run perfectly in WINE/ Proton with DXVK.

unfortunately ive become accustomed to the dark theme of windows 10 so I can't go back to 7....[ ]....
You do realize that Windows 7 has a slide show function in Aero? (Never mind, that was a rhetorical question).

You can have all the dark wallpaper your little heart desires, and change it as frequently as every 10 seconds

How about if I get you started: https://wall.alphacoders.com The site I just linked is claiming over 800,000 wallpapers, all free.

Hint, right click on the desktop and hit "personalize", on the flyout.

Back