Microsoft's patch for printer issues doesn't work, causes new boot, printer, and Start...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Oh, Microsoft. Why can’t you release an update that doesn’t cause more problems than it fixes? The Redmond’s firm’s latest cumulative update doesn’t just fail to address the recent printer issues—caused by another security fix—but introduces new printer, boot, and Start Menu issues.

It was reported last week that September’s second non-security patch, KB4517211, fixed a number of issues, including one in which audio in certain games was quieter. But not for the first time, it caused new problems, especially for HP printers.

Microsoft has released a new patch, KB4524147, which, among other things, will “correct a recent printing issue some users have experienced.” According to Bleeping Computer, however, it not only fails to correct the printing issue but also causes working printers to break.

That’s not the only problem the update has introduced. Some users have reported their Start Menu is crashing with a Critical Error message stating, "Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Incredibly, this is the same issue many people experienced after installing the KB4515384 patch at the start of September, which was supposed to address a problem with Cortana and CPU spikes.

If you thought things couldn’t get any worse, think again. Some readers say the update has stopped them from being able to boot to Windows 10. "This update totally screwed up my computer, Microsoft repair screen at start up. None of their auto fixes work!!! " wrote one understandably angry commentator.

Last week it was speculated that the printer fix would bring extra problems. Now, it seems introducing new issues has become the standard for Windows 10 updates. While not everyone is affected, praying that the latest ‘fix’ doesn’t break your computer isn’t helping Microsoft’s reputation.

Permalink to story.

update.png

I've turned updates off on my computers for a while...as long as I can anyway.
Last one in August on my new (2 month old) laptop everything was ok until after an update, then after the update is disabled my wifi & bluetooth. Did everything I could, even going back to out of the box, and took it back. THEY couldn't fix it, sent it back. Something scrambled the bios, requiring a complete redo of the bios.

Linux is dismissed as being difficult to work with and not everything works on it. Seems windows is gunning to be even worse.

Last one in August on my new (2 month old) laptop everything was ok until after an update, then after the update is disabled my wifi & bluetooth. Did everything I could, even going back to out of the box, and took it back. THEY couldn't fix it, sent it back. Something scrambled the bios, requiring a complete redo of the bios.
That sound sutterly unrelated to windows updates. Windows updates dont change your BIOS. You likely just got a lemon with a bad BIOS chip that happened to die aroudn the time a new update went out.

If MS was somehow breaking BIOS chips with windows update, we would have heard massive hollering by now.

That sound sutterly unrelated to windows updates. Windows updates dont change your BIOS. You likely just got a lemon with a bad BIOS chip that happened to die aroudn the time a new update went out.

If MS was somehow breaking BIOS chips with windows update, we would have heard massive hollering by now.
From my experience, it is totally related to Windohs 10 updates. The update reinstalls all drivers every single time when there is a major update. I have had modem drivers cause problems - I modified it to recognize caller ID strings and the update overwrote my customized driver (by modifying the registry) and each update completely blows out my wi-fi hot spot by reinstalling my wifi card drivers and removing "shared connection" status from it. Though I only have one wifi card, the current device number is at something like 15 or 16.

With the modem driver, nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed between the driver as I installed it, and the "new" update driver yet for some reason, M$ feels the need to reinstall the driver every single time. I changed some settings to, supposedly, prevent this from happening in the future, however, I highly doubt M$ will respect this. My solution is to save the relevant registry tree to file and then restore it after every update.

In addition, I have seen that Windohs 10 was altering boot order - placing itself first so that booting from USB was challenging at best if you wanted USB to boot before hard disk. In recent updates, M$ has apparently changed this behavior, however, it would not, in the least, surprise me if there are some conditions where M$ feels it has the right to f with a system's bios. BTW - I did holler at them for this and loudly!

Last edited:
From my experience, it is totally related to Windohs 10 updates. The update reinstall all drivers every single time when there is a major update. I have had modem drivers cause problems - I modified it to recognize caller ID strings and the update overwrote my customized driver (by modifying the registry) and each update completely blows out my wi-fi hot spot by reinstalling my wifi card drivers and removing "shared connection" status from it. Though I only have one wifi card, the current device number is at something like 15 or 16.

With the modem driver, nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed between the driver as I installed it, and the "new" update driver yet for some reason, M$ feels the need to reinstall the driver every single time. I changed some settings to, supposedly, prevent this from happening in the future, however, I highly doubt M$ will respect this. My solution is to save the relevant registry tree to file and then restore it after every update.

In addition, I have seen that Windohs 10 was altering boot order - placing itself first so that booting from USB was challenging at best if you wanted USB to boot before hard disk. In recent updates, M$ has apparently changed this behavior, however, it would not, in the least, surprise me if there are some conditions where M$ feels it has the right to f with a system's bios. BTW - I did holler at them for this and loudly!

couldn't agree more. I had microsoft wireless keyboard 700v2 and razer proclick 1.6 that works with the first iteration of windows 10 but no longer work in after the 2018 update, unless I opted for "generic usb device" in device manager. after subsequent feature update I had to use another mouse or keyboard as both device drivers seems to have been "updated".

talk about M$ stupidity. they didn't even care for their own hardware driver. it'll be my last microsoft hardware. I've decided on a chinese copy of xbox360 controller too. at least I know for sure they will work after every win10 update.

Linux is dismissed as being difficult to work with and not everything works on it. Seems windows is gunning to be even worse.

Linux has gotten very easy to work with. I switched to it over two years ago because windows update kept changing things and breaking things. Gaming on Linux is very easy now and I have a feeling that as it continues to get easier to use and more compatible it's only going to gain market share.

I started on Linux mint because of how closely it works and feels like windows. However, I recently have become fond of Manjaro

Easy anticheat games need to work on linux already so I can leave windows. how many eons do I have to wait?

Easy anticheat games need to work on linux already so I can leave windows. how many eons do I have to wait?
Aside from EA games(which I don't bother with anymore) I haven't run into any anti cheat problems on Linux. Essentially everything I've installed on steam works without issue. I forgot the name of the software, but there is a program that tells you how well a game runs on Linux and then helps you install it.

Aside from EA games(which I don't bother with anymore) I haven't run into any anti cheat problems on Linux. Essentially everything I've installed on steam works without issue. I forgot the name of the software, but there is a program that tells you how well a game runs on Linux and then helps you install it.
dead by daylight is my main concern. I play apex legends here and there but its not a required game for me.

dead by daylight is my main concern. I play apex legends here and there but its not a required game for me.
Unfortunately, before Proton, the developers said they won't bother with Linux. After Proton, well, nothing has changed. By the way, you can check whether games run well on Linux from protondb.com

Likewise. I have done this through the group policy editor (pro Win 10 versions) on all my machines. I'm not allowing anything in (although I did find that the update service had been mysteriously reinstated - strange. Disabled again) since an update crocked the graphics, leaving me with some sort of generic driver having a choice of only three resolutions, none of which matched the monitors' native resolution. Eventually managed to revert Windows to previous version, after a battle. Not happy and, looking at the reports of even MORE problems, I am certainly not risking updating any more!

So far so good for me.
Crossing fingers for the 'big' October update.
As usual, will make a backup before installing.
It's all good M$, you can hit me hard, you won't take me down! :cool:

Linux has gotten very easy to work with. I switched to it over two years ago because windows update kept changing things and breaking things. Gaming on Linux is very easy now and I have a feeling that as it continues to get easier to use and more compatible it's only going to gain market share.

I started on Linux mint because of how closely it works and feels like windows. However, I recently have become fond of Manjaro
Gaining market share from near zero to slightly more than near zero is not worth crowing about. Wake me up when they get enough traction to get releases from AAA otherwise they are still as irrelevant as ever.
And I'd love for them to be real competition for windows as clearly it needs it. Just we've been talking about Linux being a competitor on desktop for 20 years and it's not remotely close to solving the problems that have prevented it being a contender.

Gaining market share from near zero to slightly more than near zero is not worth crowing about. Wake me up when they get enough traction to get releases from AAA otherwise they are still as irrelevant as ever.
And I'd love for them to be real competition for windows as clearly it needs it. Just we've been talking about Linux being a competitor on desktop for 20 years and it's not remotely close to solving the problems that have prevented it being a contender.
Have you tried it lately because two years I found it was finally good enough to use as my daily driver. Granted, it takes some work to learn but this is a TECH WEBSITE. And with the way the AAA gaming industry is moving with loot boxes and intentionally making their game hard to get people to buy in game currencies, I'm not interested in anything they're selling.

That said, only games I had a hard time getting to work are EA games. Of which, I'm not really interested in anything they're selling these days.

Of course, you're free to waste your money however you see fit. I like to spend my money on computer parts, car parts for my project cars and vacation money

Back