Microsoft's windowsupdate.com running Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

It looks as thought Microsoft's windowsupdate.com server is running Linux. Microsoft afraid to use their own products now?

Has anyone else heard about this or can confirm it?

OMG!!!!!!!!! I went to windows update and updated. when I rebooted a penguin came on the screen and said if I ever want to see my XP again to send 1,0000 in unmarked bills to the La Cosa Penguinostra!!!!

:D

You'd think it should be a lot easier to hack Linux, considering that hackers have access to the source code under GPL. I guess it's more fun to hack big money spinning organisations like Microsoft, rather than cheap open source based software.

It is easier to hack linux...until security is put into all the holes it in code. That's where M$ fails...they leave those holes open, thinking nobody knows about them because nobody can see the source.

I've heard a saying that basically goes, one has to "sleep" with the enemy to beat the enemy. Microsoft is doing exactly that. Thanks to Oscar Lee for letting us know of Microsoft's new Linux office employing 1,000 in an effort to gain a better understanding of its competition.

The software giant, which considers Linux one of the biggest threats to its business, recently finished installing all the hardware and software needed to do just that in its Enterprise Engineering Center, where Microsoft recreates business customers' systems to test and demonstrate Microsoft software deployed on their networks.

But that's as far as Linux will get within Microsoft, said Martin Taylor, the company's new strategist for Linux. The stack of servers is solely for research into the open-source software, in which the underlying code can be downloaded, shared and modified freely.

"It's to understand the strong points and understand the not-so-strong points," said Taylor.

Originally posted by Nic
You'd think it should be a lot easier to hack Linux, considering that hackers have access to the source code under GPL. I guess it's more fun to hack big money spinning organisations like Microsoft, rather than cheap open source based software.

No, its not. The security model is quite different, and so is the implimentation and whole security ethos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back