Microwave is Making The Computer Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Dimension 3000, P4 2.8GHz, 512M, Windows XP Pro

We are in an office setting. There is a microwave located approximately 6 feet from the computer, but there is a wall in between. The computer is NOT plugged into the same circuit and there are other computers in the same office. For some reason, everytime the microwave is used, this one computer reboots. No one else has experienced any problem with this. I have seen microwaves interfere with wireless before, but never reboot a computer. Other computers that have been located in the exact same location have not been rebooted. There is another computer plugged into the same outlet and it does not reboot.

Since I cannot relocate either the computer or the microwave, any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Suzy :)

Cover the wall between the machines with tin foil? :p

I do think that leaking MW energy from the oven is veryunlikely here - the oven has to be in a very bad shape to start leaking from somewhere. (And you should replace the thing immediately!)

Even though you say the devices are on different power circuits, I'd think operating the oven causes some sort of spike(s) or interference in the power lines of the building. Does the same computer reboot in another room? What if you run an extension cord from another room to this location to power the computer?

I did try running an extension cord to another location, but it didn't help. I don't believe it is leaking MW's because it's a brand new oven and the old one caused rebooting, too.

Well, I'm going to get a longer extension cord and see if I can run it even further away, although I don't see this as a long term solution. I suppose it can't hurt in the troubleshooting process.

Thanks,
Suzy

This may be a silly question,but you do have your computer plugged into a surge protector don`t you ?Try getting a doubly sensitive surge protector.Some will filter out line noise,and limit frequencies.

Try plugging the microwave in somewhere else with a extension lead.

I agree with Nodsu,the MW is the least likely cause.

See if you can borrow a UPS from someone in the office, maybe someone has one they can spare for a day. If not pick up a cheap one somewhere, that should maintain a constant voltage/amperage to the comp.

You could also try another power supply, maybe one thats not so sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back