mid-range video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

First, does anyone know when ATI will release new mid-range cards? I only found this chart, and it is sorely outdated.

I would like to know when because I am in the market for a new card, but not a $400+ one. Right now I have a R 9000. And I simply can't take it any longer. I am now finally out of school and have time to game (school + work = no fun :( ). If it will be a while before ATI puts its new cards out, I need to get one now. I am choosing between a 9600XT and a 9800 pro . I would not like to spend over $200, but that 9800 pro is looking mighty sexy :D

Know something I don't? Have an opinion? Let me know.

P.S. my system specs are in my profile, and thanks :grinthumb

Newegg.com sells a Powercolor Radeon 9800SE for $150. Its a 256 bit version, basically a 9800, and most can be soft modded into a 9800 Pro.

I'd go with the 9800 Pro ( make sure it's a real one & not some 128-bit cheapo ). For the price, it's the best out there right now.

The 9800se at stock has +/- the same performance as the 9600XT & if you can mod it to 9800 Pro then it's much better ( but the success ratio on the modding is 50/50 ). The 9800se has a very annoying fan though ( high pitched ).

Like I said, stand clear of the 128-bit R9800 Pro cards -> RADEON 9800 PRO Gets Lower Speed Memory @ Xbitlabs.com

Use the Omega driver for the soft mod. The Powercolor 9800SE has about an 080% success rate. Even if it doesnt mod its a good deal. Stock speed is 380/680.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back