Mineral oil cooling!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rik said:
Its been done before on Tom's hardware guide if memory serves.

He is right. There is a lot of crazy mods and cooling in Tom's hardware guide.

If you want a really nuts custom PC and cooling, head to PCApex.

old news. But mineral oil cooling only works for a time. Once the oil becomes heated, it no longer cools.

Its a good idea though. I imagine it would take a fair amount of time to heat that amount of oil, and if you some how combined it with a radiator it could be even better.

Ph30nIX said:
Its a good idea though. I imagine it would take a fair amount of time to heat that amount of oil, and if you some how combined it with a radiator it could be even better.

Probably, but it need little more work.

bushwhacker said:
I know. Pretty stupid, isn't it?
well not necessarily stupid. Oil cooling is not a new technology. In fact, it is used all the time in industrial applications such as large scale transformers - but they have a radiator on the outside. But for small-scale such as a PC without a radiator, it really doesn't make sense. Plus it is messy.

read the site guys. it says further down at the bottom that they did add a radiator and that within 8 hours it hit a new maximum of 45C and it held that temperature for at least 2 weeks since their last post and i'm guessing it has continued to do so. and thus far, it hasn't lost any oil, nor have any of the parts or the tank had any loss of functionality or integrity.

it's looking pretty solid. my only question is, what if they have to replace a part? say the graphics card for instance? it'll be a pain in the **** to have to take it out of the enclosure and slosh oil everywhere just to put in one part. and that might introduce dirt and other grime into the tank if they keep having to take it out.

i'm seeing a filter come into the picture pretty soon, and an easy way to replace parts.

While the idea is intriguing and seems to be effective, I doubt it will ever become a mainstay in the industry... a very tiny niche perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back