Minidump analysis please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splitter

I've started having a huge number of bluescreens after a month of troublefree use of this computer (its had the memory replaced 3 times now)
Its an AMD64 3200+, 1gig ballistix@2-2-2-6 2.8v. 6800gt, ABIT AV8.

I'd be very appreciative of having the attached minidumps analysed as I've ran 9 full passes of memtest86 without a single error yet the instabilities continue.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    75.9 KB · Views: 6
2 minidumps crash with memory corruption. They have bugchecks of 4E, and 24 repectively.

1 minidump crashes at your video card driver. It has a bugcheck of EA.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrnlpa.exe. This is a Windows nt kernel file. It has a bugcheck of 9C.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

As you can see from the above. You have some kind of hardware problem.

This could be ram/video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu/psu/mobo.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hard drive.

Make sure your system isn`t overclocked in any way. Check your temperatures.

Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards Howard :)

Some more background.

The mobo and cpu have recently been replaced as i believed it to be a motherboard problem (and thus upgraded to an amd64 platform).
When my old machine was unstable i also switched out the video card and that made no difference.
Sound card/network card have also been switched.
And as i said ive had the ram replaced 3 times...each time the BS's disappear for a while and then return (in monthly intervals). Sometimes i can power the machine down for a bit and it'll then run trouble free for another month, it hasnt done that this time.
As i said earlier the machine today has been highly unstable, but after the room it was in heated up (as i'd had the window open all night and it was freezing) the instabilities have ceased. By this i mean i have been able to play world of warcraft and other games for about 7 hours solid without a hiccup.

I've lost faith in self built computers following this incident but i'll still keep poking around. If the instabilities continue like they have been today i'll switch out the motherboard and cpu with my old ones that i still have (having RMA'd the mobo for a burnt out NB) and see if it still keeps up.

Thanks for the suggestions but couldnt all these errors im recieving be placed squarely onto the ram? whether memory corrupting files stored in the memory or drivers?

This problem really is starting to cause me to go bald :/

Oh also i switched out the PSU. I guess i'll give the hard drives a test.

Yes, ram may be the culprit as I already suggested.

As you can see from the above. You have some kind of hardware problem.

This could be ram/video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu/psu/mobo.

That`s why I asked you to go and test your ram/hdd

Once you`ve done that. Please let us know the results.

howard_hopkinso said:
Yes, ram may be the culprit as I already suggested.

That`s why I asked you to go and test your ram/hdd

Once you`ve done that. Please let us know the results.

Ok its been a while because im a stubborn SOB. Ive been running the machine under load for a few weeks, seemed to have sorted the crashing as long as it was constantly underload. But it started falling over again and i got sick.

I tested alot of hardware, to find nothing was wrong so i went off and bought a single stick of 512meg budget ram. With that installed instead of the ballistix the machine is solid again, however it doesnt run the games i play particularly well.

Is this likely to be a mobo problem with handling 2 sticks or a memory problem (bearing in mine i cant find an error in over 24 hours of memtest).

Any help would be really appreciated, this problem is driving me insane

Some mobo`s are very picky when it comes to what ram they like.

Check with the mobo manufacturers website for ram compatibility.

Sometime a stick of ram will run perfectly ok on it`s own, but not with another stick of ram alongside. I don`t know if this is caused by the mobo, or the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back