Minidump - ram problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone will be able to interpret the attached minidump for me.

I have been getting the following message lately:

Event ID: 1001
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xb0f0010c, 0x00000000, 0xbf84c191, 0x00000000).

I have 512 mb of ram installed and suspect that one of the two blocks is faulty.

I have formated the harddrive and reinstalled, but the message reappeared.

If it is a ram problem would it be ok to just remove the faulty block?

Thanks in advance,
Mort

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps crashes at win32k.sys and has a bugcheck of 50.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

It is possible you have a ram problem. However, it`s difficult to be sure from just one minidump.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps crashes at win32k.sys and has a bugcheck of 50.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

It is possible you have a ram problem. However, it`s difficult to be sure from just one minidump.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks. I have found that when booting, the laptop says that it has 351 mb of ram when it has 512 (always used to say 512). I opened the case and removed the ram. Thereafter, I rebooted with only one block installed (first the one and then the other) and they both booted at 256 mb. I then placed both ram blocks in the laptop and rebooted. The laptop booted with 512 but subsequently suffered the same error as reported above. After the next reboot it was back to 351.

I have tried replacing the page file. This works fine, but for some reason it is in two pieces; one small and one large. There are no other fragments between the two pieces of pagefile.

The memtest showed no errors in the ram.

Aida32 shows only 351 ram.

Any ideas?

Mort

Your laptop probably has integrated video which "borrows" video memory from system memory. However, run memtest 86+ from a bootable floppy or cd-rom to test memory.

Tedster said:
Your laptop probably has integrated video which "borrows" video memory from system memory. However, run memtest 86+ from a bootable floppy or cd-rom to test memory.
The memtest showed no errors. The graphics do borrow memory, but that doesn't explain the "loss" of ram from the boot screen.

Essentially, the computer only acknowledges 3/4 of the ram; the 256 in slot one and 128 of 256 in slot 2.

Oh, and crossing fingers doesn't work.

The good news is that the computer runs fine with the loss of memory; i.e. no blue screens.

Mmm, strange.

This has either got to be a ram problem, or possibly a problem with the mobo.

All I can suggest is to try some different ram and see what happens.

Some faulty ram can pass Memtest. At least you`re not getting anymore BSOD`s.

Regards Howard :)

For future reference (who knows, someone might experience the exact same problem and find this site), a summary of my experience:

1) Laptop specification: 512 mb ram, 2 blocks of 256.

2) The reported error: When booting the computer acknowledges that 512 mb ram is installed. After a less than a minute Windows closes down (blue screen or BSOD) with the message "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xb0f0010c, 0x00000000, 0xbf84c191, 0x00000000)."

3) The analysis: After rebooting, half of the ram in ram slot 2 is missing, i.e. the computer registers the 256 mb in slot 1 and 128 mb in slot 2. I used "Everest", "Aida32" and "Siw" to verify this. "Memtest" indicated no error in the ram.

4) First consequence of the error: The computer runs fine without any further BSODs but with a reduced amount of ram.

5) Second consequence of the error: When the computer has been turned off, has cooled down, and is restarted, it again acknowledges 512 mb ram, but subsequently crashes with a BSOD. When restarted it behaves like described in the points 3) and 4). Consequently, every day will start with a BSOD and lost memory which is not acceptable.

6) Possible solution: I have swapped around the ram. For the moment this works. An alternative solution is to remove the ram from the, potentially, faulty slot.

Tedster said:
Are the rams sticks identical? If not, there could lie your problem.
Yes. Both sticks (Nanya NT256D64SH8B0GM-75) have been in the laptop since it was bought 3½ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back