Minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapherz

Hi Guys,
Sorry to bother you, but i've gona as far as i can with this but can't quite work it out. So far I've got thats it a driver overun stack buffer error, but can't work out which driver/device is doing it. Can someone please help me?

Thanks!

Both minidumps: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (0xF7 error)
A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially
allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
DESCRIPTION
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would
have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary
address when the function returned. This is the classic "buffer overrun"
hacking attack and the system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user
from gaining complete control of it

The process driver noted in both dumps was mcupdate.exe. This program is from McAfee software and is part of your antivirus package. The main purpose is to make sure your antivirus dat files are updated to find the latest viruses and trojans. This file is not considered to be spyware or adware.

More specifically it is part of the McAfee VirusScan On-line. Automatically updates your virus definitions. Leave enabled unless you regularly update these definitions.

In other words, there are those who disable this function and update manually. it could be that this update function is causing your issues in that when this driver is engaged it causes your crashes. I would do more research on it to determine whether or not you want to disable.

Also, you will want to scan your system just in case there is some infection bringing your BSODs. I suggest running both Kaspersky's and Tend-Mircos free online scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back