Misc. news from around the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
How Spam Works.

A couple of videocard round-ups are up today, first goes Anandtech with a Budget Shootout testing boards from the Radeon 9200/GFX 5200u range up to those more expensive 9600s and 5700s. TechReport tests the new GeForceFX 5900 XT which does seem to dominate its price range easily.

Bluetooth Vendors Look for Respect, Adoption.

Music Piracy Poses a Worldwide Problem: In Taiwan, two popular paid music services are actually illegal.

Game Consoles: A Look Ahead.

Linux Vendors Join Forces: In a plan to help Linux users "aggressively accelerate their adoption plans," leading Linux distributors are forming an initiative aimed at providing data center backup support across a broad array of applications.

From the way Nintendo is being so quiet about their next generation colsole, it kind of makes one think that there may be some truth to the rhumor that they may be joining forces with MS.
Though I would think Nintendo would be somewhat reluctant to make such a move, especially after what happened when they teamed up with Sony years ago.

I hope Nintendo doesn't team up with Microsoft. I'm not sure if thats a good move (if they are indeed considering it). At first the big financial backing of Microsoft may sound appealing, but I think Nintendo probably has some money and if they can focus to get their product out 1st or 2nd and not 3rd like the gamecube was then I think they can regain market share again. Seems a major factor in success for game consoles is the speed at which they release a product.
Also somehow the thing I picture when I think of a partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft is something as big as the X-Box and as tall as the Gamecube, with a really lame controller (I hate the X-Box's controller).

I'm not sure what to make of the Nintendo/MS teaming up thing. I only mentioned it because I've seen several rhumors about it recently, mostly because of Nintendo being so quiet about its next console, as well as ATi having deals with both companies. None of it really means anything, but it does make for good rhumors.

Nintendo's main problem with GC, IMO, was that it only played games. With XBox, you get the option of playing DVDs as well, and PS2 has backward compatibility with PS1 games, as well as DVD player capabilitiee. Sure the GC costs less, but the other two were still a better value, especially for people who didn't already have a DVD player, or students and others with limited space for entertainment systems, and PS2 was the clear choice for many, since their aging PS1 was dying and they had all those games, plus all the PS2 titles.

The next generation of consoles is going to be well worth keeping an eye on IMO, since all three will likely be great systems in their own way, sure to incorporate more features into them, such as Sony has already done with the Japanese release of PSX. I would think that MS and Nintendo would both add similar features to their next console, as I'm sure they will be present in PS3.

The reason I didn't mention DVD capabilities for Nintendo is because I think that opens the door to a lot of piracy. Sony and Microsoft can take a great deal more piracy of their games because they have financial backing in other market segments. Nintendo though is pretty much exclusively a video game company, if their games start getting pirated in mass quantities they may ultimately go the way of Sega.

Very true sngx, which is probably one of the reasons the GC doesn't have that feature, but it also makes their product less desirable. I would also think it is more expense for them to use the proprietary discs. They will likely not gain any ground till they do something to be able to compete completely with the other two. Limiting themselves to gaming is going to kill them in the next generation I'm afraid. I for one would hate to see that happen.

i got a GC specifically to play games. i don't want my game system to play DVDs or to do anything other than what it does. i suppose online play would be a good option too, but other than that... i want a DVD player to play DVDs and a game system to play games. I don't think you can make one that does both equaling the individual parts.

Originally posted by Krugger
i got a GC specifically to play games. i don't want my game system to play DVDs or to do anything other than what it does. i suppose online play would be a good option too, but other than that... i want a DVD player to play DVDs and a game system to play games. I don't think you can make one that does both equaling the individual parts.
Xbox = 199
ps2 = 179
dvd player =79
game cube= 99
Able to play games and watch dvds at same time or on 2 tvs and save 10 dollars doing it = priceless:grinthumb

On another note, the article on how spam works is a very interesting read. Kind of like a "how to" for becoming a spammer almost. Though they do include some info on filters and prevention as well.

Yeh, I read the entire (and its long) thing on how spam works, definately reinforces why there is so much of it on the net today, you can make big money quick.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing while reading it. Makes perfect sence why its such a problem. Its so easy to spam, you could literally do it in your sleep, and rake in the cash. On a lighter note, it totally reinforced my complete lack of respect for the slackers who do spam us while they sleep and rake in the cash.
and yes, its quite long.

It's pretty intimidating to think how much personal information can be easily spread on the 'net. Just imagine how easy it would be to get a hold of your name, address, phone and other information just by not noticing the little checkbox on the bottom of a page.

Pretty scary stuff.

Yes, it is very scary indeed. All it takes is one person to get a hold of it and have the means to distribute. Kind of like the Star Wars Kid, he got tons of phone calls and letter in the mail because someone found it out and spread it around. I just hope I don't ever get to that point where someone would want to know my information and distribute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back