Mix UATA with SATA150

Status
Not open for further replies.

LipsOfVenom

I have a 150 GB raptor and a 160 GB Western Digital Caviar. Would there be any problem if I used them both on the same motherboard since the raptor is SATA but the Caviar is IDE?

No problem at all, im currently running 1 ata and 1 sata.

It only becomes a problem if you wish to boot from sata and forget to put sata driver disk in during windows install.

I see. Is there a message that will pop up during XP install that will prompt me to insert the disk? Is it the "install 3rd party drivers" message during the blue install screen? Thanks for your help rik.

my board use xp software drivers some boards use the MB's manufactorer's drivers
I used seagate disc to load xp drivers
you may need your MB disc or go to there website and get the drivers
drivers are for the sata i/o controller that is onboard
you may get a prompt found new hardware let it run and see if it loads xp drviers if it fails tik the box don't ask again
then find the right drivers
if you have os on the ide should have no issues with the sata install

running xp from sata with ide can be a truoblesome config

In general, don't mix SATA with IDE, while it will work, it is buggy. Windows will default to IDE during crashes and if your OS is on SATA you could wind up with boot problems. Use one or the other.

while I use both with no issues
other than that crazy user (ME) that pulls drives out and swaps them around carelessly then I will get a no boot sandwich for lunch.

others from all round not just here have same problems
I'm think.n the sata thing is fairly new and bios code is not keepin up with the firmware
as tedster has said xp code does not handle them well
if you are new at this stick to ide boot drives if you are going to mix them up

rik said:
Well i use both with absolutely no problems!!!
like I said, it will work, however, it is prone to get errors, especially during crashes. If yours works, fine, but I hate to be the one who says "I told you so!"

Tedster said:
Windows will default to IDE during crashes.
Whaaaa?

Tedster said:
and if your OS is on SATA you could wind up with boot problems.
Windows will crash and boot to your IDE drive? What kind of crash are we talking about?

The BIOS selects the boot drive. Once that's decided, the BIOS loads the boot loader. The boot loader determines what OS to load by using ntdetect and boot.ini. The 'crash' would have to change either the values of boot.ini, BIOS or rewrite the boot loader and/or MBR - Sounds more like a virus to me. ;)

... And even if this did happen, fixing it using the bootable Windows CD is pretty straight forward. The only additional problem posed by SATA is the F6 button for drivers, which as long as you have a floppy disk (Internal or USB), you're golden. :)

If have seen for myself (I had a mixed system at one time) and also heard from others about Windows crashing for a variety of reasons on mixed systems. Then windows gets "confused" and searches for the OS on the IDE drive in which it is not on. This is why I never recommend using mixed systems. Yes, they will work, but in the event of a system crash - you're taking chances. Besides, if you're gonna go SATA, go all the way. Why bother with the older drives. Sell 'em and upgrade.
Such crashes may be more hardware related, and perhaps newer motherboards have fixed this issue, but it is definately an issue. I never recommend using IDE and SATA together on the same system.

I think the issue is more about the sata drivers written for the i/o controllers
and no I don't know how many diff controllers are out there
I use 6300esb intel drivers with and without raid
I have very rare chip it is not the 6300 chip it's a dev.
one would hope by now there are more stable chips and drivers that go with them.
and wait the sata firmware almost forgot
bios control versus the hdd firmware control during boot time

and knitting and knitting

it very well could be a driver issue. Whatever the cause, I don't recommend mixing the types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back