Mixing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i got an ASUS P4C800-E deluxe mobo which has dual channel memory.

Is it possible to pair two 512MB sticks of pc2700 RAM with two 1024MB sticks of pc3200 RAM without issues or should I just ditch the pc2700s?

Personally with 2gigs of pc3200 ram I wouldn`t bother with the pc2700 ram at all. Although your computer may run just fine with both lots of ram, it will be clocked to the slowest ram. I.E all your ram would run as though it were pc2700.

Regards Howard :)

Interesting dillema.

thelizard said:
Is it possible to pair two 512MB sticks of pc2700 RAM with two 1024MB sticks of pc3200 RAM without issues or should I just ditch the pc2700s?
Interesting problem.

As the last person noted above, the computer will just recognize it all as pc2700 (though older chipsets like Via's KT400 won't even run mixed ram), but this brings about another question: how "drive-intensive" is your work?

The big question is whether or not your computing habits will benefit more from having "less but faster" ram or "more but slower" ram. The difference between 2700 and 3200 is really just 33MHz worth of bus speed (166 vs 200), which can be a significant performance hit on anything where speed is a prime matter, like gaming. But an even bigger bottleneck is your harddrive's I/O speed, and if you do a lot of filework, the extra ram may be of more help to you.

I belive your computer can do that AS LONG as your mother board supports both types of ram.... my mother board only supports 3200 and 3400 i think because i got a really high bus speed... make sure ur mother board can support it i checked by usin saundra lite si software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back