Mixing Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure

I made the mistake of letting my friend buy and E-Machine about three years ago (she didnt have a PC at all and wanted to e-mail) The first complaint she had was that it was so slow. I added a 512M stick to the existing and laughable 128M and it has run well that way through the other upgrades. In fact the only remaining E(vil)-machine parts are the AMD 1800+T-bred and the Monitor

I would not suggest that you mix RAM....although it may be the same speed, it may have different voltages, and timings which can lead to motherboard rejection :( .

which can lead to motherboard rejection

It only takes 13 seconds to find out. Go for it.

If the Ram is different speed, it doesn't matter, because the Mobo will automatically clock it to Correct speeds. If you have a stick of PC2700, and a stick of PC3200, and the MOBO only supports 2700, it will down clock the PC3200 to PC2700 speeds.

I mixed ram before and heard a pop, that was from voltage difference, luckily my mobo is a trooper, So I'm in agreement with cfitzarl

Yes you can mix RAM. I have personally never seen anything go wrong, but I have heard lots of stories about mixing RAM causing some bad problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back