Mobo and Processor help once more

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gourry25

Ok since my confusion and etc are still around I need to re-ignite this question here are my specs and wants:

I know all of you are trying to help me but I am confused and a bit frustrated. You know what i got hopefully if not here:

Current spec:
motherboard is a Soyo Dragon Plus Kt-333
Processor: AMD Athlong 1.67GHz Xp 2000+
Ram: two g.skill 1 gig DDR ram sets Pc-3200
Video card: Nvidia 7600 GT with 512 ram
Two IDE hard drives
PSU: True antec 430W
CD-rom: 52x speed(no burner)
Pioneer Dvd/cd rom player and burner.

What i want:
A mobo, processor and maybe ram that would let me use my current video card, hard drives and at least my Dvd/cd rom player/burner.

I do not have the money now or for at least 1 year to get a new PC, therefore wanting to do this option. So please let me know the best thing to increase the speed cause i doubt with over-clocking i could play a game like Splinter Cell double agent or Crysis or some others for a while.

If i can get this to be at least 2.4 to 3.2 GHZ great!

Now I need the best solution for this as far as the hardware goes without going to PCI-E, untill i can get afford to get a NEW PC base which will be quite some time unless i can get a job.

So please let me know with links best solutions.

ASRock Dual775-VSTA or their quad or whatever the latest edition of that board is. That is about your only hope. It is a budget board, but its solid, I ran it in my main machine for a while.

It will let you run an AGP card and DDR RAM still.

So you'd have to buy a new processor and that motherboard. You could keep your ram and video card. That motherboard is an intel board, so you'd want to go with a Core2Duo processor just because that is the best bang for your buck. Probably something like an E4500.

That board has the bonus of letting you run a PCIe graphics card if you want (AGP or PCIe), but you won't want to go crazy with a PCIe card in it, because its limited to 8x I believe (as opposed to 16x). That isn't a big deal for most games, but I think it would be for Crysis.

Speaking of Crysis, that is a tall order for any system out there now. Only the very very best are able to play Crysis well at max settings, and even then they can't at high resolutions. Crysis really won't run fantastic until the next generation of video cards come out.

Also don't be too concerned with Ghz, they are really only a good measure of performance between the same family of CPUs, outside of that they are relatively worthless. That 4500 I recommended is a 2.2Ghz (I think) and will blow the doors off a Pentium D (dual core) 3.0Ghz.

SNGX1275 said:
ASRock Dual775-VSTA or their quad or whatever the latest edition of that board is. That is about your only hope. It is a budget board, but its solid, I ran it in my main machine for a while.

It will let you run an AGP card and DDR RAM still.

So you'd have to buy a new processor and that motherboard. You could keep your ram and video card. That motherboard is an intel board, so you'd want to go with a Core2Duo processor just because that is the best bang for your buck. Probably something like an E4500.

That board has the bonus of letting you run a PCIe graphics card if you want (AGP or PCIe), but you won't want to go crazy with a PCIe card in it, because its limited to 8x I believe (as opposed to 16x). That isn't a big deal for most games, but I think it would be for Crysis.

Speaking of Crysis, that is a tall order for any system out there now. Only the very very best are able to play Crysis well at max settings, and even then they can't at high resolutions. Crysis really won't run fantastic until the next generation of video cards come out.

Also don't be too concerned with Ghz, they are really only a good measure of performance between the same family of CPUs, outside of that they are relatively worthless. That 4500 I recommended is a 2.2Ghz (I think) and will blow the doors off a Pentium D (dual core) 3.0Ghz.

Ok could you provide some links for what I'd be looking into and also what about my IDE hard drives and video card and ram? I mean those are my concerns as well atm but i want the speed increase cause i can't even play Splinter Cell double agent, and as far as Cryiss goes my brother has a slightly faster processor but same video card and less video ram but same mobo ram and he was able to play it and beat it with no issues.

Are you even paying attention to the threads you use a 286? You have the last post in 13 of the 15 latest replied threads in this forum. I've looked at about 7 of them, and all you seem to say is its bad RAM or to use Intel.

My suggestion in this post was made with some thought behind it and explanations why. Your's however was made with no thoughts at all aside from you have an old Intel board that still works. Plenty of us have old boards from various manufacturers that still work.

If you wanted to make a good post here you would have found an Intel board that fits the requirements the guy outlined. I don't think you can find an Intel board better suited for his purposes/requirements than the one I suggested. I think the last boards Intel made that meet those requirements are the OLD Socket 478 Pentium 4 boards that are obviously far behind in performance compared to a Core2Duo system.

Please stop spouting thoughtless replies just to get your post count up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back