MOBO confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

codez13579

i am tryin to understand pc. this is wat i knoe & want to know:

1) Mobo= different brands make them such as asus, gigabite, msi and so forth. but how INTEL or AMD comes in? i have an asus intel p4c800ed.

2)Chipset..umm not idea wat that means. only read somewhere that intel has a northbridge and south bridge and the chipset is under the north i think?

3)CPU... got that it is the processor. but once again the intel N amd question why cant it be asus who make mobo make cpu too or gigabite. do they do it? also duel core? wattttttttttttt is that?

4)ram= i kno of ddr, sdram, and ddr2. now sdram is old, ddr is old but newer than sdram, and ddr2 is new. but wat about the ghz, i have ddr pc3200. i dont knoe how u figure out the ghz or wat the pc3200 means. i heard of 233gh and 512ghz i think?

5) HOW DOES ALL THAT WORK TO MAKE A PC WORK? explain f u could in simple VERY simple language. use big words then explain them? such as fsb (waat that means?) on the die (read it somewhere N still dont kno, somthing about msi is better than intel cuz it doesnt have north bridge cuz its on the die, see i am lost) 1:1 ratio something wit ram i think?

thanks to all for ur help.

1. AMD & Intel only make CPU's. The motherboard manufactors make there motherboards compatible with these makes of CPU's.

2. Chipsets just controll certain components. e.g memory. The chipsets : Northbrigde controlls the RAM, the Southbrigde is the I/O Controller Hub (ICH), its a chip that implements the "slower" capabilities of the motherboard in a northbridge/southbridge chipset computer architecture.

3. AMD & Intel choose to just make CPU's, and motherboard company choose to make just motherboards, its there choice realy. Also Dual core means it has two cores in one CPU's, Basically means two CPU's in one.

4. RAM is in mhz at the moment. Your RAM is 400mhz. Fastest is around 1080mhz. The name of the memory e.g PC3200 is just a way of identifying the memory.

5. The computer finaly works because the motherboard joins all the hardware together and it all communicates with each other. The CPU is basically the brain witch processes all the information. The RAM stores this data for quick use. The graphics card processes information from the CPU into data that can be used by a display.

thanks riekmahatg2

so in step 5 the cpu transfers all the info to the RAM on the mobo via the noth/south birdge chipsets? Then the ram stores it N send it out? so:
cpu send via northbridge chipset to ram
ram send via southbridge chipset to cpu?

ex: the HD send info thro the southbridge to ram to cpu. the cpu then sends it northbridge to ram to southbridge to video card???

like that? and what is meant by ON THE DIE?

thanks again

I found a pic that explains the layout:
Northsouthbridge.png

I dont no what is ment by On the die though.

codez13579 said:
like that? and what is meant by ON THE DIE?
"ON THE DIE" usually means integrated into the CPU.

Example- some AMD cpu's have their memory controllers "on the die" of the actual CPU themselves and not on the Northbridge.

While this can limit upgrade flexibility, it can also improve performance or better match the cpu to a known memory controller.

Fsb

Sharkfood said:
"ON THE DIE" usually means integrated into the CPU.

Example- some AMD cpu's have their memory controllers "on the die" of the actual CPU themselves and not on the Northbridge.

While this can limit upgrade flexibility, it can also improve performance or better match the cpu to a known memory controller.

so the cpu doesnt have to send info to the northbridge to the ram or agp. it sends it directly to the memory or agp. how does that make it faster? Does the FSB increase? How does FSB even work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back