Mobo fried? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

Last month my computer started making some wierd noises, the fans were stopping and sputtering, usualy resulting in a frozen computer. The next day the computer wouldnt turn on, no fan, no light, no nothing. I talked to a few friends and posted on a few sites including this one about the issue and it all pointed to the powersupply. I replaced it today, and nothing works, no lights, no fans, no nothing.

I have no way to test if it is my mobo or my cpu that is broken. Any ideas? suggestions?

I dont smell anything burnt and when i try to press the powerbutton, i hear a whisper that the powersupply makes.

If it helps any here is my computer specs:

Amd Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 Ghz San Diego Core
1gb Ram
Windows XP
Leadtek Winfast 7600 gs 256mb
100gb HD
550w PSU
Mobo: Foxcon Amd Mobo

All the parts are 2-3 months old, PSU is brand new.

PSU coulda taken out the motherboard when it went, if that was the problem. If your fans were sputtering then they could have stopped long enough for the CPU to overheat and destroy itself.

If your motherboard and CPU are still under warranty just RMA both of them, unless you can figure out conclusively which one is the problem, or if someone else can tell ya if one is more likely than the other.

On a side note: what was the brand of your old PSU?

I'm guessing this is a desktop. Make sure before doing anything that the wall power is good(plug in a lamp or use another outlet) and that the cord from the wall to the psu is good (use another cord or test the cord at the psu end with an AC voltmeter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back