Mobo light on but comp won't start after random shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Help!

I just built a AMD 64 X2 5600 with an Asus m2n-e mobo and 2 gigs patriot ram and a Geforce 8600gt vid card with a 320 gig maxtor hard drive. The computer started upfine the first time and I was able to use it without a problem. A few days later when I turned it on I noticed a slightly wierd noise that was like a ticking sound but not very loud. I thought a fan was catching a wire but when I took it apart I found nothing. So I let it continue to run and after playing a game for 4 hours it just died. The comp completly shut off as if the power had gone out. I turned the power on again and it started up fine so I continued to play for awhile. The next day it randomly died again after playing COD4 for maybe 30 minutes and then it would not turn back on. The mobo green light is on signaling power but nothing will turn on. I have 120mm fan running to the mobo and it will not start nor the CPU fan. However, the 80mm fan I ran straight to the power supply and that still turns on, so I don't think the power supply is bad.

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated!

note: I did buy the Asus m2ne as a refurbished mobo so I am thinking that maybe it is a bad one and I should just return it but I wanted to see what you guys think first.

That makes me think either the PSU or hard drive has gone, I'm not entirely certain... do you have any other parts lying around to swap them with? I wouldn't go buying more parts yet until there is more confirmation from other members...

I don't have any spare parts. I have done some more research on the mobo and found that it can't handle ram rated higher than 1.95volts (which was not listed in the mobo manual for some odd reason) and I used 2.2 volt pc2-6400 in it. Although I thought if the ram was out the processor fan would still work unless it somehow damaged the mobo.

Could your CPU overheating? If the mobo was trying to use the CPU and there was no cooler running, could it have overheated? The mobo could well have been damaged, but it's hard to tell... You could try more RAM, but I doubt it would help. If you heard a clicking noise, could it have been the CPU fan breaking? It is a bit like stabbing in the dark at the moment, tell me if you get any developments.
regards,
Spleenharvester

It could have been the CPU fan not working properly and then overheating causing the random shut offs and eventually frying the CPU so the computer doesnt operate at all. However, the hard drive light and power lights on the front of the case don't turn on either so I think something is also wrong with the mobo. I think i may put it aside and focus on my finals and then take the comp back to Fry's electronics where I bought all the components and see what they think went wrong.

Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back