Mobo or cpu? HELP!

What is the problem?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sledgehammer84

My problem is with a computer i built for someone. It ran fine and for about 8 months. Then one day they contacted me and said it wasnt "working". So i brought it to my house and tried to start it up. it will pass POST and after that it leaves me at a black screen with a blinking underscore. i thought maybe the hard drive was the problem so i used western digital's hd tool for testing the drive. first i ran the quit test and it found an error. then it recomended to to run the full media scan so i did so. after that is said that that it found errors and that they were corrected. I ran the tests a few more times and now shows no errors detected, so i am assuming that the Hd is still in good operating condition. i dont know if i can say the same for the data on it though. After that i proceeded to insert my xp installation cd. this is where things got tricky. every once in a while it will detect the cd and start to read it. it prompts me to press any button to boot from cd, so i do so and then i says "setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration". After that passes it leaves my with a blank screen and seemingly no activity. I tried that a few times and figured that might be caused by a faulty cd-drive. i replaced the drive with a known good one and got the same thing. After that i went on to test the Memory. I tried 2 different programs and 1 ran 20 passes no problem. then the screen started to distort. I think that was caused by an older video card going out, when i first booted up the pc it would have a distorted screen and then it corrected itself sometimes. i replaced it and havent had that issue. the second test i ran just didnt work flat out( i think it was a bad program).I am currently running Memtest86+ v1.70, due to what ive read in this forum. so far ive had 4 passes and no probs. also anything from a bootable floppy seems to run fine. the bootable cd's is where i seem to be having the problems.I tried a xp pro, xp home, The ultimate boot cd and still hangs. i am wondering if maybe the ide channels that the cd drive and hard drive might be working intermittently.they are on differnt ones. both as master. Or could this be a problem with the cpu the board is an intel d865perl that was packaged with a celeron D processor(i think). I also updated the bios to the latest version. If any one can offer any help or ideas please let me know. i am thinking about pulling out the hd and seeing if it will boot one of my other pc's. is there any way to test the mobo with out swapping out a new one, since i dont have a spare intel board?

It seems to me like maybe a faulty IDE controller. If you have a spare IDE card lying around, try that and see if it works. If you don't have one, maybe buy a cheap one from NewEgg.com and try that; or if more is wrong on the mobo than just the IDE controller, buy a new mobo; I don't know what it would be if not the IDE controller, though.

--kitty

kitty500cat said:
It seems to me like maybe a faulty IDE controller. If you have a spare IDE card lying around, try that and see if it works. If you don't have one, maybe buy a cheap one from NewEgg.com and try that; or if more is wrong on the mobo than just the IDE controller, buy a new mobo; I don't know what it would be if not the IDE controller, though.

--kitty
thanks for that info. ill try that and keep posting

Sounds mobo-ish to me. Usually CPU problems will prevent it from POSTing properly -- then again, it's no guarantee. I'd say the same as kitty, the HDD connection to the mobo is acting up -- then again, I'm no expert as well!

Well, it could be the MOBO but…it seems to be working correctly until it passes to the HDD. It might be as simple as a bad IDE cable or it could be as complex as a bad IDE controller. The cheap solution is to swap the IDE cable with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back