MOBO problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I have an old computer (see my post about an AGP card I bought, same comp) which I'm trying to get back up to running condition so I can break it again (no kidding!). I finally got a new PCI vid card, but now, when the computer powers up, the HD spins, the fan on the processor comes on, etc. but I still don't have any video.

Yes, I did make sure I seated the card properly. Yes, I did try more than one PCI slot. My motherboard is depicted quite accurately here: http://public.planetmirror.com.au/pub/jumpers/mh-pc-lib-vol3-motherboards/049-053.html#Heading3

edit: the link isn't actually to my mobo, it just looks like it . OOPS, I didn't look hard enough, my bad.

Was there an option in the BIOS to disable onboard video? You should remove the PCI card, clear the CMOS, the reboot and go into the BIOS and see. There may also be a jumper on the board for disabling onboard video.

Oddly enough, I do. The guy I buy all my parts from gave it to me for free. I did try the ISA card, but to no avail.

No ideas as to where I can get a new Socket 7 mobo? I've actually got another Pentium processor in my basement. Anyone got an old mobo with a Socket 7 with ISA and PCI support? I've got plenty of IDO RAM too (in case you haven't noticed, I seem to attract old computer parts, just not any mobos). I've even got the original hardware manuals for the mobo and processor, which I just found.

Try looking for an ASUS P5A on Ebay. I had one & felt quite sad when I sold it.

I have an MSI MS-5169 Socket 7 board but it's the home of my K6-2 450mhz sorry.;)

One last attempt....I vaguely remeber changing the voltage jumper on my mobo when it already didn't work. Do you think I may have fried the processor? I do have a spare :D . I'm gonna test my original vid card and may be getting an original Pentium 233Mhz based mobo (with a 2gig HD, 64mb of RAM and the whole enchilada) . In case you haven't noticed, I've got a thing for squeezing the most preformance out of ancient hardware. I may actually get some Kingston DDR RAM and stick in the thing to see how it runs (it does have 2 DDR slots, as well as 4 EDO slots).

Originally posted by me(who else?)
I may actually get some Kingston DDR RAM and stick in the thing to see how it runs (it does have 2 DDR slots, as well as 4 EDO slots).

You might want to try using a SATA drive on it too & maybe sticking a PCI-e VGA card on it once they come out.;)

I could probably buy another computer for that price.., maybe I will ;) I wonder how I could OC this thing. It's got a ASUS P5A-B mobo, but there's no jumpers and no BOIS settings. Anyone know where I can get a BIOS update? I checked the ASUS website, but haven't checked Award yet, maybe I'll try that next (duh! :rolleyes: ). The kingston RAM thing was a joke, I'm running win 95 with 64 megs of RAM right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back