Mobo question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined the boards and am amazed at the amount of info on them. I'm also amazed by all the problems with eMachines p/s and fried mobo's. I, personally have a HP Media Center PC (m7640n) which I trully enjoy. A buddy of mine that knows I tinker with computers brought me his eMachine T2885 and asked me to see what I could do with it. After reading some of the posts here on the boards, my initial check was the p/s and yes it was bad. I replaced the p/s with another I had as a spare which does work (after testing) but only causes the green led to light on the mobo and spin the fan about one revolution, then nothing. Can I assume that the failure of the old p/s fried the motherboard or.................I'm open for suggestions!

Common misconception. We have found through actual test that at least many models fail in the motherboard, thus causing the power supply to fail. The T-2885 is one of those.
The motherboards were originally decent designs, but were licensed to Tri-Gem of Korea, and others, where they were designed into a disaster that seems to never end. There are 14 bad models, where the failure rates after 18 months are above 50%.
The problems occur in Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, and Costco models... among others.
We do not know of a fix. If you replace the motherboard with one from eMachines, then your software and hard drive will work. But that is $159.95 plus shipping and another $60 for the power supply. If you buy the board from eMachines, it will fail in about two years, again.
If you use another board, then the Windows Install and the hard drive will not work without a reformat.
Still, the best solution is a motherboard by a different brand, along with a new version of Windows XP, and a power supply. Total cost: $160.
Your hard drive will be good. The data can usually be saved. CPU and heat sink are good, and the fan is usually good enough. Memory will not usually be damaged, nor will the optical drives, or modem, or cables.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back