Mobo related probs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorlonbob

I have a ECS K7S5A board. Lately i have been experiencing problems. The clock would not hold the time, and over the last few days i get the CMOS battery low warning. I replaced the battery twice and it didn't solve the problem. Most times i turn the pc on, the processor fan turns very slowly, but nothing else happens, I tried making sure all my connections are tight but it still keeps happening. Is my board on the way out? If so what budget board can you reccommend for an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with DDR RAM?

Changed power supply. Seems to run OK except for low battery message on boot still. Tried another battery from a PC that has had no problems, but still the message appears

Make sure the CMOS clear and flash BIOS jumpers are in their normal, default operating positions.
Turn off BIOS shadowing and see if the problem goes away.
Check your mobo's website if there is a newer BIOS available and flash it. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for flashing (and make that BIOS-backup when offered)

The mystery is that it worked without difficulty for about 2 years, it's only after moving house that it doesn't work very well (Should have mentioned that before i guess). I have been told that during transit the board may have slightly shifted, causing grounding problems?

Switch PC off, disconnect powercable, remove memory-chips, clean contacts with an eraser so are all shiny again, blow off eraser remnants and reseat memory. Do the same with any other AGP/PCI/ISA cards. Guard against static by "grounding" yourself at the chassis or central heating.
If you feel up to it, indeed remove/reseat the mobo.
Good luck

Originally posted by vorlonbob
it worked without difficulty for about 2 years, it's only after moving house that it doesn't work very well
Worse power quality from wall sockets could explain why changing PSU doesn't help either.

Check the voltages from BIOS, is the board getting +3.3V or is it like 2.5V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back