Mobo won't boot DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

disciple

I have just installed a Foxconn P4M8907MA-KRS2H mATX motherboard and now my dvd roms won't boot into the XP disc to do a reinstall. I have gone into the bios and set the first boot to CD rom and also have enabled "OTHER" but i am having no joy. Can anyone help please?

ensure your DIP switches are set correctly on the DVD drive and the cable is correctly installed.

Tedster said:
ensure your DIP switches are set correctly on the DVD drive and the cable is correctly installed.

DVD drive was working perfectly before and works normally for playing games; just won't boot my XP disc at startup.

Tedster said:

What are DIP switches? I have never heard of this term before.

Tedster means the Master/Slave switches - they are DIP switches.

Is the dvd connected to the secondary IDE? Is it on the middle connector?

CCT said:
Tedster means the Master/Slave switches - they are DIP switches.

Is the dvd connected to the secondary IDE? Is it on the middle connector?
Yes the first is used for the hard drives

Thank you for your help; but i managed to sort things out.
In the bios my keyboard worked perfectly, so i did not suspect that could be the problem, but it was. In the bios was a section that stopped usb devices being used in dos; i changed it so that usb could be used in dos and bingo! It worked first time.

Thanks again for your help.:grinthumb

Sounds funny that your original post was about your cd and your solution was a bios fix for your keyboard!!!

However,............... :)

CCT said:
Sounds funny that your original post was about your cd and your solution was a bios fix for your keyboard!!!

However,............... :)

I'll explain.
Everytime i was trying to boot onto the XP disc, i was tapping the keyboard as asked but nothing was happening apart from continuing into XP(the old motherboard/ cpu install). Due to the keyboard working in the bios, i put it down to the dvdrom not wanting to boot the disc. This idea was furthered by Foxconn themselves saying that i had not set up the bios to read the DVDROM correctly, even though i could not find where i was going wrong. After no resolving of the problem, i came to Techspot to see if anyone had any ideas. It wasn't until i looked in every nook and cranny in the bios, as i was running out of ideas; that i found that the usb devices had been turned off in dos (something i'd never seen before) so i turned it to on and the rest is history so to speak.

When you said 'DVD drive was working perfectly before and works normally for playing games; just won't boot my XP disc at startup." I thought, as maybe others did, that you had already installed the OS and played games and were now RE-installing (for whatever reason).

This is why good description is important.

Anyway, glad you have ot sorted out.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back