Modding wires on fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilomil

Hey

I figured out how to make my fans go slower by cutting yellow and black and leaving red, then leaving the black disconnected and connecting the black to the yellow from fan to connector.
Is it possible to make it go even slower?

Second thing is I also have a 2 pin fan, is it possible to mod that as well to go slower?

~Kilomil

Nice with a fast reply :)
'I wouldnt know where to put it or where to get it. I would also rather stay with the rewiring.
As far as I know there are 3 different ways to have a 3 pin wired. The way it is from the beginning, the way I told and a third way. I think the third one is faster though.
The thing I'm most interested in though, is if I can rewire the 2 pin some way. I would connect it to a 3 pin. So there might be some possibilities?

~Kilomil

For silencing purposes...

I have just bought myself a Zalman reserator 1+ and a Watercool HDD Dual, and a Aerocool 550 Turbine.
I would like to make use of my fans without making too much noise. It's better to have a couple of slow fans than nothing or 1 fast and noisy :)

~Kilomil

Putting a resistor onto the fan is very simple

All you have to do is cut the wire supplying power (in your case, red), and put the resistor in between it

Not sure if you have grasped fan wiring so here is an explanation.

The yellow wire (3 pin only) is the speed sensor output wire.
The red wire is +12 volts.
The black wire is 0 volts (ground).

A resistor for slowing a fan down can be soldered to the +12 volt or ground wire but not across both of them. It will have no effect if its fitted to the yellow wire apart from upsetting speed sensing.

Power connector in the pc (molex).

Red is +5 volts.
Yellow is +12 volts.
Both blacks are 0 volts (ground).

Connecting the fan to red and yellow will run the fan at around 7 volts but can potentially damage a cheap power supply.

I did have a whole load of links for all that but Ive had to reinstall my system and forgot to back them up.

I'm sorry if I'm not getting what you're saying, but I just dont think I've gotten the answers I'm looking for yet.
What have I done when I in a 3pin fan (not molex) have disconnected the yellow wire and connected the black wire to the yellow pin then? (red left alone)
It has become pretty slow. But one of my fans is still too fast. Is there no way of rewiring, like I just did, that would make it go slower?

Secondly, is there no way of rewireing a 2pin in the same way? Maybe I could do a similar thing as I did with the 3pin and connecting the black wire to the yellow pin? Since I dont need the yellow cable for the way I rewired the 3pin it seems like it could work?

~Kilomil

Yay it worked with the 2pin idea I posted. Just had to try :)
Maybe I actually made it a bit too slow. But it's certainly not giving off any sound now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back