Modem causing computer to hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jusb

Hi everyone,
Im using Win 98SE and a Conexant Soft K56 Modem. Sometimes, when I am on the net using my main ISP, my computer will hang for 'no reason'. But when Im using my alternative ISP. I dont get this problem. Could it be cause by some settings incompatible with my main ISP?

A hardware modem will cost u nothing to buy and wil be quicker. Software with ISP might be coursing an error with windows.
The only diference between ISP's should be a phone number but they install software and stuff. Maybe some of this software is the problem. So u could write ISP phone numbers down and uninstall ISP software and just use phone number with Connection wizard. Havent tryed but should work

Originally posted by Tweakster
The only diference between ISP's should be a phone number

That isn't the only difference. You will also need the Primary and Secondary DNS server numbers, IP number(most dialups assign a new one every time you connect so it may not be necessary) You may also need your incoming and outgoing mail server if you get mail through your ISP and use Outlook or something to get it.

That is the stuff that my ISP's software puts on a computer, along with their own version of IE and OE(only difference is that it puts the ISPs name in the titlebar)

What do you mean by "hang".. Is it just for a moment while dialing?

If that is so, then it is because you have a winmodem.

If you've been able to somehow determine your modem hangs your entire computer (or your connection hangs until you are forced to end task), then it is probably an IRQ conflict which can be solved a couple of ways.

Remember though, if it is just for a moment and then your computer resumes a second afterward, it is your winmodem.

Thx for the help guys,
I am using Dial Up Networking to connect to my main ISP directly. I am not using any softwares.
The hang that I get is a crash and I need to press reset to restart my comp cuz all keys wont work.
But if it is because of IRQ conflicts, why I can connect to my alternative ISP with no problem?

btw, i had updated the the driver and it is a generic driver. i tried to turn off the speaker volume but failed.
i tried putting ATM0 and also M0 but i still hear the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back