Modem connects ( However IE and Firefox wont work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hello :wave:

My friends modem connects however he has a problem. There is nothing wrong with his ISP.

The modem connects and then the 2 screens at the bottom right hand corner show that the internet is working.

Here come the problem with both firefox and IE when he opens them they say the pages cant be displayed. Also any programe that needs to connect to the internet wont work. :confused: :confused:

Can anyone plz tell me how 2 fix this for him

Regards Baltan

See if there aren't any custom proxy settings, try clearing the DNS cache & if it doesn't work, you can always try to repair the Winsock files.

Thanks for the reply but i dont really know how to check the proxy settings, also how do you clean the DNS cahce??

also what is winsock files

Baltan

Ok thanks i will try this asap. I am currently busy at the moment.

any new virus protection and or firewall software shut downs
if you have the likes of Mcaffe or norton they will run services that enable the connection if they are disabled you may not get a connection

We have hit a problem non of the mentioned seem to help!!! dns cache clean up works.

I did however try system restore on his computer and this is a bit puzzling. When i clicked on the date to restore to it did the procedure restarted and then came up with an error saying that the restoration had failed???

Why has this happened?

Baltan

I guess no one on the techspot forum knows the answer to my question :confused: :confused:

He is left in the dark because he needs to use th internet. :darth: :darth:

Plz Baltan :) :)

I think the modem might be bad. Even though you see the icon in the tray, it is not connecting. A similar thing happened to me once. I replaced the modem and that fixed the problem. PCI modems are very inexpensive.

Dial-up Blues

Baltan said:
Modem has been working before. Fo 2 Years lol

Run a modem query to see if it's working? To do this go into the control panel and click on Phone/Modems

Click on Modems to see if you COM port matches or is active. Click on it and then click on properties then. From here you'll Query Modems.

Another way is to make sure all user ID and passwords are correct.
If you connect, before you do that turn up the speaker and let's listen to pluse noises connecting.

If you hear that and your connected.

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: ping www.google.com

If you get a response then you're okay there...

Firefox

click on tools
click on options
click on general
click on connection settings see if that says direct connection

IE

click on tools
click on internet settings
click on connections
click on your ISP then on settings
make sure user settings matches your login and password.

Just something else to think on there. Are you using XP and have XP firewall enabled? If you do and you're running another firewall you'll certainly be causing problems for yourself. You can disable the XP firewall by opening the security centre in programs\accessories. You should probably disable it anyhow as it's pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back