Modem Driver causing BSOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason497

So every so often, at seemingly random I'll get a blue screen of death and my computer restarts it's self.

Then I get a message...

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem."

Then I click that and I get....

"Download updates for WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver

This problem was caused by WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver. WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver was created by Scientific Atlanta.

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

Solution

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the Scientific Atlanta website to learn more about the solution."

Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix it? That site doesn't help worth a damn. It shows me a bunch of drivers and I'm supposed to pick at random or something? It also says nothing about Windows Vista, which I have.

My computer is an Emachines 3.2ghz processor, 512 ddram, 160gig HD.

I'm hoping I can get some help on this. I just bought this computer like 2 weeks ago and this is crap.

I had a BSOD everytime I used a verizon Aircard 595 on BATTERY POWER.
Turns out my battery showed full charge--but was old and not enough amps to properly power the card.
Ran OK on ac power.
If your battery is old could be this if you are using a laptop.

go to the Modem vendor's site and get a firmware update -- be careful to get the right version

So I emailed them about the problem, this was their response...

Thank you for contacting Buffalo technical support. The modem is not
currently supported over USB in Windows Vista. There are no additional
drivers needed and it should work fine over eithernet

So I'm guessing this means I get an ethernet cord and hookup the modem to that instead of the USB cord?

Which model is this Emachines 3.2ghz processor, 512 ddram, 160gig HD, ? Does the model number start with T or W?

The driver is included within Windows VISTA on most eMachines...

But eMachines are so flakey...

Have you called the eMachines tech support. The computer is still under warranty.... and the drivers are also included on the disc set that came with the eMachines... so give their tech support heck.

It's a T5088

That's a good idea. I still haven't tried hooking the modem up to an ethernet instead, I'm gonna hit radioshack up tomorrow.

But yeah if that doesn't work, I will harass them like hell.

Well I got the new cord and my computer has been running perfectly for 12 hours 44 minutes now with no BSOD. Looks like the problem got solved.

I got a "Cat5e Network Cable". Basically just disconnected the USB cable from my cable modem and hooked that up to it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back