Mohterboard for amd athlonXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Housam

hi all

I'm planning to make up a system and I have chosen AMD Athlon XP for that but I'm still wondering what motherboard manufacturer would be good for that?

So far I've chose MSI (MicroStar International):
MSI KT4AV based on:
VIA KT400A Chipset
VIA VT8235 Chipset

which FSB is 333MHz max

Can you please give me an advice about it or about another motherbord?

Unless you are on a really tight budget dont bother with VIA chipsets - buy an nforce 2 instead.

Personally i would not reccommend MSI motherboards - just a bit to cheap and tacky for me.
Try to stick to Asus (best in my books), Abit or Gigabyte

Steg

All the MSI boards I've used have always worked very well.

MSI designs their boards with stability in mind first, even if performance gets a little hit because of that.

Think of them as a high end ECS if you will. Good quality components at a very good price.

They might have a little less bells & whisttle then boards like Asus & Abit but they're very good none the less.

Definitly worth looking into.

i would recommend Epox, Abit, Asus, or Gigabyte. i would get the Nforce ultra 400 chipset as well. all those board manufacturers make quality stable boards with as many features as you need. just look for a board with the options and price you want.

Agreed. I have always used ASUS boards. I recommend the nForce 2 ultra as a chipset. I am running a Shuttle AN35N ultra and it is very stable. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I didn't buy it to overclock. Also have an MSI 875P Neo-LSR. It is a P4 board, but I haven't had any issues, other than it requiring really good RAM to work right. Make sure you read all the forums and reviews about the board you finally choose before you get it. You'll save yourself a lot of hassles.
Good luck,
Bug

The ASUS nForce2 boards are very well made. They are slightly slower than the Abit boards and don't overclock quite as well but they make up for that in stability and features. Fortunatly they do actually overclock quite well......enough for me at any rate.
However, if you are going to by an nForce2 board (which you really should - they can come as cheap as ViA boards these days) then make sure you invest in some good quality ram - nForce2 boards as very picky about the quality of the ram they use. Try to stick to Corsair, OCZ or Muskin - or if you really must Kingston and Winbond.

Steg

Kingston is a good brand & their HyperX series is just as High-end as corsair. They wouldn't give you a lifetime warranty if they didn't put out good quality components ( even their Value-Ram series has a lifetiem warranty ).:)

abit an7, abit nf-7 rev. 2,asus a7n8x rev2.0, epox 8rda3+, dfi lanparty nfII, gigabyte 7n400, leadtek k7ncr18d, mis k7n2d-l

One comment on chipsets - if you are an Athlon user, the Via KT880 chipset has been WIDELY accepted by many of the top mobo manufacturers...I happen to be a Gigabyte guy as far as mobos go...but MSI, Asus and Chaintech are at the top of their respective games as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back