Money, Upgrades etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steg

I am just about to get paid a vast (well almost) sum of money, in the region of £350, and basiclly I need to know what I should spend it on.
See System specs below
Let me clarify :
1) I don't know how much of that cash I can hold on to. I suspect a major chunk will get lost in dept repayment (mainly for other computer parts) and other vital expenses. The least I will end up with should be £100 - hopefully more.
2) Possible upgrade paths :
- 1gig Corsair TwinX DDR400 RAM - £160
-As a replacement for my current RAM - I should be a ble to get £60 for on ebay.
-It would allow some nice stable overclocking of my 2500+ to 3200+ or higher.
-Good upgrade path to a socket 754 Athlon 64, however seeing as socket 754's days are already numbered a socket 939 is much more likly
-Less good upgrade path to a 939 Athlon 64? If the 939's run a 1Ghz FSB (250 quad pumped?) then 200 ram is not going to be a great deal of use? Would I need PC4000 RAM?
- 2 x Raptor 36.2gig SATA HDD's - £99 x 2 = £198
-Double the storage space, double the speed
-Double the noise, expensive for 74gigs, hot
- New Soundcard (Audigy) and Speakers - £Various
-A Audigy would be nice for 5.1 surround and EAX 3/4
-Therefore I need some 5.1 speakers
-Do I honestly need a new sound system? Isn't 4.1 enough?
- A Nice TFT Gaming Moniter - £Lots
-My current 17" CRT isn't very good and is VERY badly scratched where my dad cleaned it with window cleaner and took the anti-reflective coating off - no honestly he did!
-If not sure what make/model I want - recommendations please
-Its not exactly desperate - It would just be nice to have a decent TFT.

Any suggestions/comments/recommendations would be greatly appricated.
Thanks in advance
Steg

Well, if your monitor is badly scratched, I'd get a new one if I was you. Otherwise your computer looks fine, I don't really see good reasons to upgrade.

You know, you can spend money on other things than computing - maybe someone close to you?

And there is also the option to save the money for the future ;)

Good point.....
A nice new moniter would be nice....
As for someone close to me....I dont want to think about it....other people are far too expensive to have walk out on you unexpectedly....(yes yes i know im bitter)
the future....yes - it will probebly wind up in the bank and be saved....not a bad thing in the end
thanks for the advice Mictlantecuhtli, much appreachated :)

Steg

p.s. the question still stands - would a 939 Athlon take DDR400 RAM and run in sync - or would it need non jedec standard DDR500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back