Monitor-Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuv

Alright, well here is something strange that I've yet to find on the net for the past 5 hours.

I just built a new computer but am running into problems from the past. Whenever I connect my monitor to an adapter for my computer, the monitor will go onto power saver mode (clicked some buttons on the monitor and that comes up, but is initially black). It happens as soon as the monitor and adapter touch. I figured I would try getting out of this mode via moving the mouse/ pressing a key but it doesn't change anything. I also tried connecting it anyway to my computer and booting it up to get to the bios but nothing appears just as it was before. As soon as the adapter is taken off the monitor goes back to the "self diagnostics" testing when not plugged into a computer.

Tested:
Different monitor, different cables, different mouse/keyboard, and both inputs for a monitor on the back of the comp from the geforce 8600 gt

I've encountered this problem before with a friend on his computer. The results back then were the same; however, there was one variation. He had used the monitor about 7 times prior to this problem occurring. No hardware changes were made in this time frame.

I'd really appreciate a solution, because I've seriously gotten stressed out by this problem just by thinking about it. Thanks

What adapter are you trying to use? All I can imagine is that your monitor(s) (I don't know what they are either) is not capable of displaying the resolution and frequencies your computer/video card is trying to send

They are both LCD's by Dell, and I believe it is a VGA- DVI adapter, so it "ought" to not have a problem. The main thing that confuses me so much though, is the fact that a friend of mine had this same problem, but it was spontaneous. He had used it multiple times before, and then it just suddenly ran into this.

(sorry for the late reply, was digging dirt)

Edit: Quick little update, my dad just talked to some guys at circuit city and apparently he was told to put the graphics card into a different slot to get it started up, then to change it back to PCIE 1. Although I don't think this info will help, because this happens even before it touches the Geforce 8600, so yeah, but I maybe be wrong.

Does the video card have a DVI connector? The Dell monitors have no DVI connectors? How are each configured? Sorry but you are not giving me much information

The video card has 2 dvi female slots on it, and my specific dell monitor has only a male vga. Looking at the vga slot on the motherboard of my comp... this will sound really weird, but both the plugs from the monitor and the one on the motherboard are male? So I would need a double female or something.

As for configuration, what configuration are you referring to? I haven't done anything with the new comp yet so it's not configured at all to pick the primary monitor or anything like that, and I did a factory reset on my LCD monitor.

motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136015

All right Zuv... good post!

You will need a male DVI to female VGA adapter. You probably have this already. The VGA or graphics connector on the motherboard should really be a 15-pin female connector. Are you sure that the motherboard connector is 15-pin or actually 9-pins?

Also, if the motherboard has a VGA connector, this means that it has on-board video. This on-board video must be disabled in the bios before the PCIe video card will work properly... If your Dell monitors are flat screens, the vertical refresh rate needs to be set at 60Hz.

Where is this World are you located? We evangelists here are urging all our members to post their locations.

Go into "User Profile", "Edit Profile", "Additional Information". List your Country and City. If you don't feel good about posting your city, that's ok. Also give us your computers specs, add as much detail as you can

Ok, I updated my profile, and relating to your post, the motherboard has a 9-pin male. The monitor has a 15-pin male. Both pins are VGA. Graphics card has 2 dvi females. On newegg, the motherboard is said to not have any onboard video. The specs I added on the profile btw are the new computer I built.

Also, if you'd like I can give you a link with all of the parts I bought so you can see the exact specifications of each if that would be the problem.

Yes I do have a female vga to male dvi, it came with the graphics card; however, it is the one I've been using that blacks out the monitors to the power saver mode.

Edit: If you'd like, I can send you a private message of an AIM name or phone number (if you have free minutes on weekends like me) or something.

Good Zuv, thanks for updating your profile :cool:

The 9-pin male is a Serial Port (COM 1)

"Yes I do have a female vga to male dvi, it came with the graphics card; however, it is the one I've been using that blacks out the monitors to the power saver mode"...

This blacking out is because your video card is outputing either the wrong frequency or refresh rate for you monitors.

Also, you must install the video card in the first PCIe slot closest to the center of the motherboard. Did you remember to plug in a power supply connection into the video card?

Ok, so that really wasn't a vga spot then? Shows that I really am just learning huh? Yes the vid card is in the PCIE 1 slot (closest to the center) and yeah the power supply is hooked up to it.

Since there is no onboard video, then there isn't a vga slot? If not, then to even use a graphics card won't I need to install drivers first, which I don't think I can do from the BIOS since I wouldn't have the graphics prior to an OS to even run an OS with which to install drivers to the hard drive?

And relating to the refresh rate, I've tried 60 and 75, I'll try 70 I think it was in a minute.

Edit: Ok all 3 refresh rates continue to have the monitor go to power save mode when the adapter is put on, and it exits it when the adapter is taken off.

Is there a way to manually change the frequency? Or am I going to need to buy a different adapter or monitor?

Ok Zuv,
The video should show on the monitor right when you turn on the computer regardless if the video drivers are installed or not. If you get no video at all, your video card may be bad

Well, I did consider that, however this happened to my friend using the same monitor if you recall, and same adapter. His spontaneously wouldn't work, yet it works fine at his house. So I don't think it'd be the graphics card.

Strange predicament huh?

Do any of your other friends have a LCD monitor that you could try? You get no image at all, even on boot up?

Others have LCD screens yes, but this happens on 2 of my LCD ones. I could try to get another one and test this on.

Also, I'm going to pick up a different friend who is pretty good with comps, he has built 2 already so he might be able to help me out. I'll update you on what happens in a few hours. And no, I get no image whatsover, the monitor is on a constant "power saver" mode. Thats why it's blank, and moving the mouse/ typing keys doesn't take it off as it should.

Thanks for all of your help thus far Tmagic650. I really appreciate your help.

Hey, thanks again. It's up and going now. Turns out that the processor wasn't pushed in all the way (durr haha). I got the BIOS up and running, it's all working now. Time to start gaming. Good luck with others you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back