Monitor breaking = damaged videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years now and then I have heard rumors from people that it is possible if your monitor breaks on you (like from a short out from old age or something) that a surge or overvoltage created by the failure of the monitor could travel through the monitor cable and into your videocard and damage it. Is this possible?

This has been a worry of mine recently because a year ago when my speakers shorted out, I used a stereo/CD player on Line In as a substitute for speakers until I got new ones. It was sitting right next to my monitor. I didn`t realize that the magnets in those speakers did something to the inner works of my monitor -- ever since, if whats being displayed on my monitor is more than 60-70% dark colors, the picture will turn fuzzy and vibrate on the screen and this high-pitched sound will come out of the monitor. It won`t go away until I shut the monitor off for two minutes.

Can anything be done to fix that?
If, one time it breaks when that happens, can that surge rumor I mentioned happen?
Should I just not worry about it because just as long as that doesn`t happen everything is fine?

This has been going on for a year now, and can the extra turning the monitor off and on chop off some time of it`s life?

My monitor is a Sony Trinitron CRT from 2001.

Whether such damage can happen depends on the circuitry inside your video card and inside your monitor. Unless you can ask someone who designed these things, there is no way to know for sure.

The designer of your video card may have decided to omit some protective components to make the card $1 cheaper or the card may have been made $5 more expensive by designing special anti-user measures that protect the device from all sorts of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back