Monitor broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched through the forums and couldn't find a problem like mine...

About a couple of weeks ago, I went to turn on the computer...I pressed the power button for the whole system and then pressed the power button on the screen. The computer was starting up like it should, but the image on the screen kept blinking on and of every second or so. Eventually you could see (in between the image flicking on and off) that the system had fully loaded, yet the screen could not hold the picture.

I would turn off the screen and a randomly turned it on, most of the time the problem kept happening. After a while the screen would display the image like it should and away I would go using the computer like normal. If the computer went int deep sleep mode, when you went to use it again, the same problem happened.

My computer is a HP pavilion 1660a and the monitor is a HP pavilion f1523,
I purchased the computer in November 2004.

Can anybody help???

This could be a motherboard problem. Do you have a friend that you could borrow a monitor from and test it? There is a possibility that the jack for the monitor has worked itself loose or just went bad.

It might be a faulty power supply. That or it's the internal electronics that are not properly set up.

Try replacing the power supply and/or the whole monitor.

If the new power supply works, replace the old one.
If the new monitor doesn't work, it's most likely the internal connections in the computer.

Power supplies have generally no effect on intermittant video displaying on the monitor. I'd say check that the video card is properly seated (if its onboard ignore that) then check that the cable is properly fastened to the video output on the computer. After that is verified move the monitor cable around some and see if you can make the display go off. How it behaves there should give you some information on if it is a connection problem.

Borrow a monitor or take your computer to another monitor if possible and see if the same thing happens, if not, your monitor is toast. If it does then the problem is most likely your video card.

Well as already said I would try another monitor first. But a few years ago I did have an HP that did the same thing with not displaying video and it turned out the PSU was bad.

I have this same problem =/ my monitor would randomly turn off and on for random periods. I temporarily switched it with my friends monitor and it doesnt appear to be my computers fault...

I am using a ViewSonic VX922

I thought it may be the video card, but I tested another monitor with my computer, and there was no problem..So I assume it was the ned for my monitor..I purchased a new one while the other monitor is being looked at...When the IT guy gets back to me, I will post his explanation. Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back